Tuesday, July 17, 2007

A day at the fair

It's going to take me forever to catch up on blogs. There are 881 unread posts in the feeds for my blogroll and I haven't even started yet. I spent yesterday waiting around for the bags and organizing the media from the trip. The bags didn't come, but apparently Fedex has them now. Hopefully today we'll get them.

We had an awesome trip and the weather was perfect. There are so many fun pictures that I'm going to milk this trip for several posts. Today's pics can go under the heading "only in America". You see, we happened to be there when the Orange County Fair opened, so we headed down for a look. Parking and entry was free for the first hour so we stood in a half mile line to get in. I used to love this fair as a kid because of all the carnival rides, and as a teenager I was once the "star" of the hypnotist show, singing in front of thousands of people (shudder). As an adult, I was surprised at the number of charlatans hawking wares. There was actually a guy selling cookware that cures Aids, leukemia, and chronic fatigue syndrome, "That's why this cookware is a MIRACLE!" he crooned.

I don't remember all these food choices at the fair. If you click the pic to enlarge, you'll see the menu better. The most disgusting of all is the Krispy Creme Chicken Sandwich (with Honey!) - two glazed donuts with chicken and honey. Gross. The fried avocados looked intriguing, but we had already downed a bratwurst so we abstained.

I don't know how they can deep fry Coke, but apparently it's possible. Again, we declined to partake.

Being a fair, there were plenty of animals. When we got to the pig section, Serge kept commenting on how good they looked - to eat. He was actually salivating at the live animals.

It's hard to tell from the picture but the hot dogs this guy was selling were at least 18 inches long.
You wouldn't think it, but these things smelled delicious.

Since we're doing "only in America", I'll throw in this shot from the John Wayne Airport. They had some advertising in the terminal, and I thought this one was rather odd. There's something wrong with peddling operations, but I just can't put my finger on it. (Click to enlarge so you can better see the ad)

22 comments:

Timmy said...

reading this post, I can smell the fair food!

mmmmm, pork butts!

Kevin said...

Welcome home! And seriously, who doesn't shop for a vasectomy at the airport?

Anonymous said...

How I miss going to the fair that was near our home back in the 70's and 80's. We may have to make a trip back there this year just because your post brought back so many good memories.

Luckily we will not need to fly so we will not need to consider vasectomies at an airport.

Anonymous said...

The chicken donut sandwich thing has me speechless. Why on earth?

I agree with Serge ... those pigs speak maple cured ham to me.

That vascectomy ad made me shudder, too. Maybe it's the magnifying glass ... It wouldn't encourage me to want one, that's for sure.

I'm glad they found your luggage. I hope you get it back with everything intact.

Jason said...

Wow, and I thought a deep fried Mars bar was weird.

Doug said...

I'm surprised someone didn't attack the guy selling cookware that cured AIDS.

I'm really hoping Serge was salivating because he thought they looked delicious.

We've got vasectomy billboards here in Florida. I guess they're big business (vasectomies, not billboards).

Normlr said...

Those chicken sandwiches are right up there with the Krispy Kreme cheeseburgers with fried egg on top and bacon. Deep fried Coke? Shudder.

It's funny how there's a picture of 2 men behind the vasectomy ad.

CoffeeDog said...

LOL, Serge salivating at the sight of live animals, love that image.

r said...

STILL scratching my head at the deep fried coke.

Do you think that ad actually draws in any business?

dantallion said...

Krispy Creme Chicken Sandwich (with Honey!) - two glazed donuts with chicken and honey

All the people in line at that food kiosque are...ummm...full-figured. Funny, that.

bardelf said...

Welcome home!

Aren't pigs about the cutest animals you've ever seen?
I'm serious!

Patricia said...

fair food isn't supposed to be healthy (i mean, my favorite is a corn dog and an elephant ear so i have little room to talk) but it's like they've lost all reason and figure if they just deep fry it, anything's game!

an ad concerning male genitalia that uses a magnifying glass. aren't they kind of shooting themselves in the foot?

Scottsdale Girl said...

Using a magnifying glass to peddle wares that involve a penis is a very bad idea.

Also, Deep Fried Snickers? Guh. But I will be trying Deep Fried Coke at the fair in October!!

dpaste said...

Fair food is always appalling. Pork butts? I just can't imagine.

It's probably a healther mindset and less in denial of reality, but the idea of looking at a live animal and salivating kind of skeeves me out.

dawn said...

Vasectomy dot com! (Sing it like Expedia dot com!) I think that site is really going to become popular, you can't go wrong with airport advertising.

And fair food = awesome.

A Lewis said...

You know, I just saw this Vascectomy ad the other day on a huge billboard alongside the highway. Talk about a cut up. As for the 881 posts, screw it. Clear them all and start over. Cheating, I know. But a man has to keep his sanity. And how could anyone salivate over those cute little piggies?

Elizabeth McClung said...

Wow how did I miss the orange country fair living there all those years...I think it was because I was going to the Renaissance Faire. Salivating over live animals? Usually seeing live animals makes me want to retreat to the fantasy where I only encounter them in a sterilized meat packet in the supermarket.

Looks entertaining....and HOT.

Since I still don't have a TV and have been away - exactly when did the US of A start pimping the medical so hard (I noticed this on our vacation that every second commicial was another drug, or op - no vascectomy ads but I am waiting for the cute cartoon commerical version)

abnitude said...

love your pic of the sleeping pigs. i always have to hit the pig barn at our state fair(ny). they always seem to have that gring on their faces...and i never eat pork!

Devo said...

Is Serge secretly a little farmer boy or something? In some overalls and a tight while tank top, perhaps? :) There's a visual, and a little game you could play on a Friday night-heehee. It's not a big leap to imagine them crackling on a spit with apples in their mouths, yum! The rest of the fare sounded gross to me, but the pigs were understandable.

Anonymous said...

The Orange County fair is not unlike the Indiana State Fair. They have the fried Coke and all sorts of Deep Fried concoctions. Elephant Ears and Turkey Legs. The specialty of our area though is Deep Fried Pork Tenderloins. Yummy!

Mark in DE said...

I'd have had to try every one of those deep-fried delicasies! You showed amazing restraint.

Mark :-)

Sunshine said...

It's funny how fairs all look the same, no matter where you are in the world. I swear those pics could've been taken at the Ekka in Brisbane. :P