Sunday, May 21, 2006

346 posts in a year

Warning: sappy, sentimental tripe ahead

This calls for Dairy Queen.

One year ago today was my very first blog post. When I started, I set out to write, because writers write, and also because my Uncle (a published author I'll have you know) said that the best piece of advice he had was from his first editor; "Write three pages every day, it doesn't have to be good, it just has to be written."

Now, I don't write three pages, surely if I did, I would have zero readers or a book deal. (I can dream, can't I?) Still, I have found the daily regimen of writing has produced some wonderful side effects. The first is how much more I'm "into" my life. Not in a self-aggrandizing, narcissistic way, but in that I feel like I'm a much more keen (keener just sounds wrong) observer. There's always something interesting happening if only you pay attention.

And what about the other denizens of the blogosphere that I have made connections with? I think that has been the most unexpected part of it, that I have let myself be drawn into so many different daily lives, and I find myself wondering about my blog friends, praying for them when they're down and cheering for them when they're up. And of course many of those weigh in on my life too. Like a big fan club collective, this blog phenomenon is.

Here's the nut of it: I am one point of awareness, filling one space on the planet. I can share my unique perspective from my unique place and take in the other points of awareness' unique perspective, and in doing so, we all discover that we are far more similar than different. And then we celebrate in the comments section.

So as Sticky Crows heads into its second year, I invite you to stick around for the miraculous ride that is life. It's gonna be fun, I just know it.

23 comments:

just call me jeff said...

Happy Year Number One! Keep expressing your point of view for your faithful fans.

Chunks said...

Thanks for the invitation! This is one party I would crash anyway, because I love it here, you never know what to expect although I always "walk away" feeling lighter. Keep it up and happy anniversary!

Alden said...

Succinct and wise words, sir. Hope to read you for another year!

Jess said...

Congrats on the first year! (That's a lot of posts!) :)

It's been a pleasure getting to know you!

GayProf said...

I really like this entry. You expressed a good amount of my ideas as well.

Congrats on a great first year in the blogosphere! I look forward to the next with anticipation.

Anonymous said...

Just stumbled across your blog and I can't wait to read more!

Best Wishes from a new reader,

SV

A Bear in the Woods said...

T, you know by now that I LIVE for sappy, sentimental tripe, especially yours when you pour it on, with a trowel.
And I see myself more objectively,because of blogging and have to really focus on what connects with people.
I really look forward to your next year. You've really connected with me!

r said...

What a lovely feeling for you... the "collective fan club" as it were.

Snooze said...

Happy anniversary! Like making coffee, reading your blog has become my start to the day.

Joel said...

Congrats! I love it when a blog makes it. Ironically I started blogging for the same reason pretty much. I alread have 10 chapters of my memoirs written and a well known aAuthor told me via e-mail I should write and journal every day because there is a always a funny story to be told.

OK OK, it was Augusten Burroughs! Yes, it is true...he wrote back when i wrote him!

Anyway, I plan to stick around and yes, i agree, we DO get vested in those we love in the blog world. Strange isn't it?

IDigHootchAndCootch said...

Bukowski in "women" said something like "writing is a form of insanity. I couldn't stop if I tried".

Anonymous said...

*clink*
Congrats on one year... may many more follow!

Sunshine said...

Happy anniversary. You're a very good writer and I always enjoy reading your posts, in particular those funny annecdotes involving "spouse". :) When I first came across your blog and started reading about how Serge and you got to be together, it read like a Sidney Sheldon novel. I was instantly hooked and had to read the whole thing in one sitting - twice. :P

The Wisdom of Wislon said...

Happy First year!

It gave me goose bumps reading your blog today- tis true you do get attached to blogs and their daily adventures, observations and take on life.

Keep it up

Wisbo x

Shauntae AuPair said...

Bon anniversaire. (or is it bonne anniversaire? dammit! THIS is why I could never work in Quebec)

I thank ya for the blog. Cheers!

Kevin said...

Happy anniversary.

Re: your comment about how to switch careers. I need a sugar daddy to give me a big chunk of money to pay off all my debt.

Know any?

Topher said...

Happy Anniversary. I've only read your posts here and there, but has enjoyed it so far.

xoxo

dpaste said...

Happy Blogiversary. I'm new to your blog but enjoying it quite a bit. Good luck with the brown stick.

anabel said...

"I am one point of awareness, filling one space on the planet."

I love this line! Thanks

Adam said...

Happy Happy!!! You're one of the first blogs I ever read religiously and you're a daily read! Can't wait for the many more posts to come.

Patricia said...

happy blogiversary. you help make the ride a whole lot more fun and caring. thank you for that.

St. Dickeybird said...

Happy Year One. Thanks for the writing.
:)

Mark in DE said...

Congratulations on your 1st blogiversary! I had mine in December. I like you. We have the same background for our blogs. I'm sort of a writer too. Hope you don't mind but I linked my blog to yours.

Have cake and ice cream to celebrate! :-)

Mark in DC