Saturday, May 06, 2006

Offroading at Home Depot

I've rented an earth killing machine this weekend. When I got in it, I stared blankly at the 4-wheel drive apparatus. Having scant contact with such a thing, I didn't really understand how it worked. "What if I need to use it to get out of a situation?" a small panicky voice inside asked. "Yeah, right, you're going to be off roading this weekend are you? Think there'll be a freak May snowstorm and you'll get stuck?" and then I snickered at myself.

It's a Jeep Liberty. And as I was driving away admiring the smell of new leather seats (can I get an essential oil of that please) I thought about the usefulness of the four wheel drive. But all I can come up with is ego, vanity and perhaps masculinity building as the possible uses. I mean when do you need to shift into the four wheel drive mode? Shouldn't we be avoiding places where four wheel drive is necessary? Wouldn't these places tend to be wild and untouched? It's wasteful already to have a big old SUV (I usually see one person in an SUV), the 4WD seems like a superfluous addition. Like a bra for a Hummer.

Still, I'm thrilled to have rented it, the size will come in handy this weekend as I have succumbed to the wheedling, and we will be getting a patio set. Thank god we have to get a small one (due to the size of the deck) so we won't have to spend too, too much. Also, a tree! I predict squabbling over the selection of the tree. Apparently we both have an idea of what we want the back yard to look like, but we formulated these ideas independently so they do not resemble one another. Hopefully, neither of us will be intractable.

10 comments:

Snooze said...

A patio set with an umbrella so people can't watch you eat, right? You have to show photos of the final set-up.

GayProf said...

I was driving away admiring the smell of new leather seats (can I get an essential oil of that please)

I am not sure about an essential oil, but I am told that you can obtain leather-scented lube. Just letting you know about your consumer options.

Nicki said...

You must show us pics of the finished Home Depot visits!

A Bear in the Woods said...

I now have become helplessly addicted to checking you out every single day. Wild, hugely endowed chipmunks in SUVs.
I'm sorry. I created this image and can't shake it. You went from interesting to wildly exciting in one step. Now anything you say has me riveted. All a part of your diabolical plan, no doubt. The most maddeningly enjoyable part is the calmness with which you enjoy it.
love,
DEL

CoffeeDog said...

Ah, see we ordered our patio furniture from Home Depot and got free shipping! I wasn't going to lug all that crap home.

I'll post some pics of our new furniture and you can post pics of yours.

A Bear in the Woods said...

I just have to know....IS there a story behind the name "sticky crows" I'm sorry, but I'm starting to stalk your blog. I just can't help it.
love,
DEL

Spider said...

Why not two trees - there is no such thing as too many trees in this world... everyone needs a place to rest under - to enjoy the shade they have created...

Chunks said...

I love the Jeep Liberty! I wanted one, but we succumbed to yet another minivan. (You wanna haul stuff?!) Those small to midsize SUVs are amazingly light, but when you kick them into four wheel drive, they become like little tanks. I drove a chevy Tracker for 7 years and loved it in the winter! I can't wait to get rid of the minivan and finally drive something cool again!

D e s i g n Girl said...

I almost bought a Jeep Liberty....they are nice. But since I almost have to give up my first born now days for a tank of gas I had to pass. Hope you are enjoying it! :)

Patricia said...

i love that you rented a fun vehicle for hauling stuff. i hope you cruised some, just for fun, too. and oh how i hate "bras" on cars! i'm openly admitting now that i'm stilling this for my next list.