Friday, March 14, 2008

Snippets

* I got a big kick out of one of my students this week in my beginner's class. She got up to leave the room and I said, "Where are you going?" Her answer still makes me giggle, "I need to make pie pie."

* It's so funny how such a small thing can generate so many varying points of view. This week we've been discussing the story of a kid who was suspended for coming to school with a mohawk haircut. He was six years old. His mother changed schools because the boy wanted to keep his haircut. In class, it seems to depend on the person's preconceived opinion of a mohawk. If they have attached a dangerous or violent meaning to it, they find it hugely inappropriate for a six year old, but if the person has attached a cute or individual taste meaning to it, they find the suspension of the student ridiculous. Many in between opinions too. We end up talking about conformity and whether or not and to what extent we should be teaching that to our kids.. I've been very surprised at the amount of conversation it has inspired. Makes my job a breeze when that happens.

* I tried the Chunky brand "Chicken and Sausage Gumbo" and LOVED it. I decided to try another one yesterday - "Chicken a la King" and I was barely able to gag it down. It was like pus with chunks in it.

* I took over 50 pictures for 12 of 12 and then I had a hard time choosing 12. What's interesting about that exercise is that you're forced to look for the interesting as you go through your ordinary day. I passed by a plaque that I have probably passed by 1000 times and never even looked at it. Finally I did and I learned that the crabapple is Montreal's official tree. Felt all edified, I did.

* I've been paying attention to salt lately. Sometimes I wake up all filled with water and I figured it was the salt. I've been shocked at how much there is of it in everything. 12% of the recommended daily intake just from the morning bagel. I got a coupon for two McDonald's breakfast sanwiches for the price of one and if there's one Mickey Dees weakness I have, it's the Sausage McMuffin with egg. (I adored when I stayed in Hong Kong that the McDonald's there serves them all day.) So I had two the other morning and was horrified to see on the wrapper (since I'm reading them now) that I had consumed the full day's allotment of salt. There were still two meals to go. Sure enough, I was all bloated and sluggish the next day.

* The girl gave me back the coupon to use again instead of putting it in the drawer. Ever since, it's been causing me to exhibit conflicting desires. The bloating is still dominating the deliciousness. But my spendthrifty ways are sure to come into play.

* Hey, the blog's been scat-free for a week. Oh. Oops.

* There's a contest in the paper here to fly four friends or family members to Montreal for dinner. It's a two week contest and you have to find the little symbol in the newspaper each day and send in the form. So I've been doing it and since you have to state the people you'd invite, I've been mixing it up each time, a different mix of either family or friends or both. I've got several forms here yet to be filled out so I thought I would maybe do a blogger entry or two as well. I mean y'all are my friends too. Trouble is, I need real names and cities of residence. So if you're interested (like it's a zillion to one that we'd win, but still) email me your name and city (I don't need your address, just city) because you know, Midwestern Funky Town is not going to be good enough. tornwordo atsign yahoo dot com


* I took this for the 12 of 12 thing, but it didn't make the cut. Still I thought the sun on the horizon illuminating the trees was beautiful.

29 comments:

CoffeeDog said...

Lord I hope they wait till the snow clears to fly folks there for dinner. If it were like it is now, I'd have to pass!

Anonymous said...

The girl gave me back the coupon to use again instead of putting it in the drawer.

That means she just stole from her employer - unless the coupon says it can be used over and over again.

;)

Petie said...

I stop eating at McD for sometime now...

It is a premium price here in BKK and the *food* do not filled me compare to the price I pay...

Jeff said...

File this under you learn something new everyday. I wonder how that ever came about... The crabapple becoming Montréal's official tree... Seems like rather an odd choice, but I suppose they are beautiful when in bloom.

Snooze said...

pus with chunks in it... omg, I have never read a more vile or, from the looks of the photo, accurate, description. I'm still laughing. And gagging.

Anonymous said...

With my current stomach flu I've been making Pie Pie every hour like clock work. The bowl of pus made me upchuck once more, thanks. Here they don't put the salt content on the wrapper but I do like the sausage and egg mcmuffin. Everytime someone mentions cutting back on salt I remember reading about thousands of African children dying each year from diarrhea caused by a lack of salt. Ed

dantallion said...

pus with chunks in it

Ok, YOU can't design their marketing campaign.

bardelf said...

Salt is in everything, and it's killing thousands of people annually. My doctor put me on a low-sodium diet two years ago and it has changed my life. I read labels all the time, eat much more healthy, and get more exercise. I feel more alive and alert than I have in years. Low-sodium is the way to go!

ChickenStrip said...

I love salt. Maybe that's the reason for the Food Baby? Can't be because I'm a lazy cow.

Pretty pic - now off to look at the 12 of 12!

Lemuel said...

I have to confess to a weakness for the sausage mcmuffin thing, too. I try to avoid MickeyD's in the mornings at all costs.

Patricia said...

Ew. Rox was in your pus soup? *gag* (Sorry, Rox.)

I wanna come visit! Put me in, please!

Cooper said...

You didn't blog about poop this week, but I did today ... sort of ... and I linked you to it, so does that count?

That pus thing almost made me hurl.

I buy sodium free as much as possible now.

The tree picture is gorgeous. I think I'll do the 12 of 12 next month, too. It sounds like an interesting exercise.

Have a good weekend, Torn ... you and Serge and your Sara.

don said...

"Pus with Chunks". MMMMMM. I do love Pavement Pizza...

BTW. Does "make pie pie" translate en francais?

Anonymous said...

It looked like a bowl of paste. You know, like what we used to put strips of newspaper in and use to cover balloons? What was that called?

We'd make sculptures with it.

chicken a la king.

pfft.

Greg said...

I'm trying to focus on the warm feeling conjured up by the Sausage and Chicken gumbo...but the proximity of the C ala K...ugh.

I do love the sausage McMuffin with Cheese, but usually only get them as a rare treat when I've gone over the bridge. Of course bloating always makes travel better. ; )

Greg said...

Thanks for the linkage, Torn...

GayProf said...

I love Montréal. I love Pierre Trudeau. I love Poutine. I love hot male strippers. Choose me -- Choose me!

Probably the non-winning strategy would be to argue that I need to get away from MFT to somewhere warmer.

Rox said...

I thought of the same thing, Patricia, when I read the pus with Chunks thing. LOL!

I haven't gone to McD's for years. Not since I found a big old hair in my second to last bite of a Big Mac! It grossed me out so badly that I couldn't even SAY the words "there's a hair in here!" because I was that close to barfing it all up. Please stay away from that awful place! (Now I feel so queasy!)

A Lewis said...

Pus with chunks? Happy Friday right back at ya. And skip the McD's. Horrible for you...and me...and all of us. I'm still trying to figure out what "filled with water" is. You had to pee?

Anonymous said...

God forbid if they found it "hugely inappropriate" if the child said he was gay or "likes other boys." That soup looked good and like something that would warm and coat the "insides" on a cold winter day until you described what it was like. Ewwwwwww! Have a great weekend!

Mark in DE said...

I would be honored to have dinner with you in Montreal. You should have my full name and address from our holiday card exchange, but I'll send it to you again for ease.

Mark :-)

P.S. The verification word I had to type to enter this message started with "BM" and I laughed at its appropriateness!

My adventures said...

I was just starting to crave a batch of my own chicken and sausage gumbo when i read about pus with chunks. Thanks! You saved me a good 10 lbs there! And the sodium and fat content are the equivalent of a heart attack in a bowl.

Jen said...

I forgot my camera on the 12th... can I borrow some of your pictures? Parts of Ottawa look like parts of Montreal...

When the post opened I saw the Pus Sup* pic and thought "Why's he eating onion dip with a spoon?"

PiePie: I realise she was going for pee pee, but I put the pie together with "knowledge of Torn" and came up with the Frantic's "I shit a peice of pie" sketch. Dunno if you've heard it, but here's a link below; 4.5 minutes about poo. Enjoy.
Jen

* what's it when the word/phrase is the same backwds and fwds? Like "kayak" and "A man with a plan [something]:[something, Panama" (how's that for clarity! Someone will know what I'm talking about...)

http://dev.upian.com/hotlinks/tag/frantics

Jen said...

A better link to the Frantics shit-a-peice-of-pie:

http://www.thefrantics.com/site/Frantics_32/images/media/Frantics-A_Piece_Of_Pie.mp3

tornwordo said...

Palindrome. Now off to watch poo video, thanks!

Jen said...

Yikes, I over sold it... it's only sound, sorry

lattégirl said...

If you read labels, you'll see that the sodium content in most foods is terrifying.

Confession: I love Cheez Wiz, but I won't eat it anymore because of the sodium. (Mind you, I also love REAL cheeses)

tankmontreal said...

"I've been paying attention to salt lately"
The cure for everything is salt water: tears, sweat and the sea. - Isak Dinesen

S said...

I'm still laughing over pie pie.