Sunday, March 30, 2008

Sugar shack!

We went to MIL's house yesterday so that we could visit a sugar shack together. As you can see, there's still plenty of snow at her house. The weather was beautiful and sunny, though it never got out of the 20's (fahrenheit)

He we are in the parking area of the sugar shack. We were early, the parking lot was full when we were done.

Once inside, the menu is displayed at the entrance. All sugar shacks have a similar menu. There are no choices and everything is served family style at picnic tables.

Here are spouse and MIL waiting for the first course, which is always....

Pea soup! It is also served with bread and country pate, and bread and butter pickles.

Then the main course arrives. It kind of looks like breakfast, doesn't it. It pretty much is, and then you pour maple syrup all over everything. It's a salt and sugar fest, let me tell you.

Even though we were beyond stuffed, we had to try the sugar pie and fried crepes.

We still had to do the "tire" which is making a kind of maple sucker in the snow. We were so full though that we decided to take a walk in the woods first.

And I was so excited to see a Robin. The first one I've seen this year. That means spring really is around the corner.

Back at the barn behind the shack, the tire was being served. While waiting for the syrup to firm up on the ice, you can read about the magical quirk of nature that allows maple syrup to be made. (er, you can read if you read french.)

Once the syrup is firm, but not too firm, you roll it up on a popsicle stick and eat it like a sucker.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks like a nice outing. It is so good to get out and do things once in a while. The food looks better than it sounds. I'm not so sure about the Feves with Lard though. The roll ups in the snow seems to need clean snow. The magic of making Maple syrup is to put the sap on a stove and boil the water out of it. You guys look so handsome. You seem to be getting younger all the time, not fair and how do you do it? Ed

CoffeeDog said...

At least it's sunny up there...I know you're so tired of winter!

Patricia said...

That looks like such a great day. A perfect Wint errr Spring outing. And I love real maple syrup. The free reign to pour it over everything made my mouth water.

Anonymous said...

I'm going to stop whining about our snow. You win.

That all looks marvelous!

Anonymous said...

Love the picture of Serge and his mother! He looks so handsome and she is gazing at him with such affection.
What a fun day for the three of you.

Sylvia

bardelf said...

OMG! That breakfast looks delicious! Sugar shacks are so fun. I've been to one in rural Ontario. It was delightful learning about the process of making maple syrup.
I really like the photo that shows the snowy road leading through the trees.

Anonymous said...

Okay, now I'm really, really, hungry. Thanks. Love the picture looking down the snowy lane...but glad it doesn't look like that here anymore.

don said...

I love it. So romantical. Une aventure habitant avec Mama et Serge. You are so fortunate to experience Québecois life. Although I think that I would need a double Lipitor after that meal.

GayProf said...

I am hungry now.

mainja said...

aww, man, now i'm totally craving a caban a sucre. sigh.

the best is when you find a place that has traditional quebec folk music (fiddles and the like).

A Lewis said...

You know, it's odd. Sean at Idle Eyes and a Dormy(http://idleeyesandadormy.blogspot.com/2008/03/oops.html#links)
blogged about the Sugar Shack which reminded me of Portland's very own Sugar Shack. Check it out:

http://portland.citysearch.com/profile/8474361/portland_or/sugar_shack.html

Anonymous said...

you and spouse are so freaking cute!!! and your mom is adorable too. i lub you guys. :)

Java said...

I agree with Ed. You guys look like you're getting younger. Is the fountain of youth in that maple tree?
It looks like a lot of fun, even in the snow.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I never knew you could do that with syrup... You have such an educational blog... ;-)
Only problem is getting your hands on a bottle of maple syrup over here.

My adventures said...

My god!! That clogged an artery just reading that, and it all looks so good!!

Mark in DE said...

Sounds/looks like a great time!

You guys have an insane amount of snow up there.

Mark :-)

Anonymous said...

Damn, you really got the snow.

Great pics -- especially the ones of you and Serge with his mom.

And I'm very intrigued by the whole rolling the maple syrup onto a stick like a sucker.

David said...

I love your adventures. Though, I could do without the snow. And all that lovely, lovely and probably, deadly food.

Still, living up where Santa lives, I guess you got to store up for those cold winter June days.

publius100 said...

I need to come up there. The food looks fabulous. But not during winter; you have snow, we have tornadoes.