Sunday, March 16, 2008

Tartiflette

Here's a super easy side dish recipe. It's called tartiflette. Dice two medium sized potatoes and one small onion and four slices of bacon. Saute the potatoes in a bit of olive oil until they start to brown and then add the onions and bacon and continue sauteing until the potatoes are golden. I add a pinch or two of salt and pepper as well.

Once you're done, you will put the sauteed mixture into a casserole dish and add Sir Laurier d'Arthabaska cheese. (This is a soft ripened cheese with washed rind.) The original recipe calls for Robluchon which is very expensive. Try a local cheese provider's cheese if you're unable to find these.

I prepared a marinated bavette de boeuf to go with. The bavette (bib in French) is known as skirt steak in English. I adore Diane's gourmet western smokehouse sauce for marinating.

The tartiflette goes in the oven for 10-15 minutes at 300 just to let the cheese soften up but not too high a temperature or the cheese might separate. I prepared the steak while the tartiflette turned gooey in the oven.

Voila, a delicious dinner for Saturday night. Maybe a bit lacking in the veggie department, but a side salad helped assuage our guilt over this vein-clogging concoction.

16 comments:

My adventures said...

Ok, I'm trying to figure out how 2 avocadoes, 3 bananas and a red onion equal a side salad?? We must use the same nutritional chart.

Rox said...

I've never heard of that cheese. The whole thing looks yummy though!

Anonymous said...

The recipe looks delicious! It looks very similar to a recipe served at a local restaurant here called the Uptown cafe but they include mushrooms.
You don't need a salad at every meal. Humans are omnivorous after all. We need/like our meat. Ed

Anonymous said...

Those are not plastic plates are they? You must hate doing dishes as much as I do. Ed

Cooper said...

Diana sauce is simply the best! I use it all the time. Have you tried in a meatloaf? Really rocks.

The tartiflette (love that name) looks great! Could another kind of cheese (like aged cheddar) be substituted?

Greg said...

Oh, salivating here...and jotting down notes for the shopping list!

Cincy Diva said...

Who knew I had been cooking French-Canadian for years? I make something very very similar. I always just called mine Bacon Potato casserole

GayProf said...

Bacon? Potatoes? Cheese? What's not to love in that dish?

Anonymous said...

I second what gayprof said.

And a question, Whose bi-focal-looking glasses are those?

Hmmm?

A Lewis said...

Do I see sex toys in the background? Shame on you.

Greg said...

That *is* an interesting placement of pen and bottlecaps there, Torn.

lattégirl said...

Mon Dieu! Look how Franch you are becomeeng!

Perplexio said...

well, it got me salivating! Sounds absolutely delicious!

Mark in DE said...

Sounds delish!

Mark :-)

dpaste said...

Sadly you lost me on the bacon.

Tom Falco said...

You could probably substitute eggs and have the potatoes, bacon, onions and eggs for breakfast.