Sunday, May 25, 2008

Very dull post

We're down to the final three days. Yesterday, we dragged out the suitcases to see if we can get away with taking everything in carry-ons. We can, but Serge doesn't want to feel confined to such a small selection of vestments. So I gave in and said, "okay, no big deal, we'll take the big suitcase." Then spouse told me I was making a big deal out of it. And refused to accept my giving in. I don't know what else I could do except agree with him, and even then he's still irritated with me. Sometimes you just can't win with spouse. I'm putting it down to nerves, he's never been to any of the countries we're visiting.

Carnival (the cruise line) has changed their dress code and now have "elegant nights" aboard the ship instead of "formal nights." All that's required now are dress pants and collared shirt for men. Jacket and tie are no longer requisite. This is so wonderful because a suit coat takes up space and gets wrinkled in transit. We will each bring a tie, however.

My clothing list
7 pair socks (4 white ankle, 3 black)
2 pair shorts (1 khaki, 1 jeans)
2 pair jeans (1 blue, 1 black)
1 dress pants
1 khaki pants
4 short sleeve collared shirts
3 t shirts (white, grey, black)
1 tank top
2 long sleeve collared shirts (pale yellow, burgundy)
1 tie
1 bathing suit
2 pair underwear (me as I don't wear them every day, 7 for spouse)
1 pair dress shoes, 1 pair sandals (wear sneakers on the plane)

Today we're going to keep plugging away at the pre-vacation lists. There's really not that much left to do, so maybe I'll have time to pop over to the botanical gardens. If so, you'll see the photos tomorrow.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think a tranquil walk through the gardens is in order. Wearing a tie while on vacation seems a bit much. Myself, I beleive the tie was a 20th century acouterment and should be done away with. Would Captain James T. Kirk of the starship enterprise wear one? Have a great Sunday. The weather here has finally warmed up. Hooray! Ed

Birdie said...

Ed, he's going where many men have gone before*; he needs the tie.

Your packing list shows a taste for classic looks that never go out of style. Makes it easy to pack, doesn't it? Everything matches.

I get snippy when I'm tense too. I'm glad to see that you don't take it personally.

*That doesn't sound right.

Snooze said...

You can get all that in a carry-on with the new rules? I'm impressed. What are you going to do with the liquids/toothpaste requirements? I automatically go for checked luggage nowadays.

lattégirl said...

Do you have suitcases on wheels? They make life (and airport terminals) so much easier.

Remember to put your lighter in with checked luggage, otherwise they'll grab it and throw it away. You probably won't have any trouble finding a fellow smoker with a light within your first minutes in Paris, unlike my last trip to the Maritimes when they tossed my lighter and nary a smoker was to be seen at the Toronto terminal!

RJ March said...

It's the shoes that always get me-- I feel as though I need at least three options.

A Lewis said...

I'm right there wit you on the panties (or lack thereof), my friend. Who needs 'em anyway? Useless.

GayProf said...

Traveling can be stressful even as it is fun.

What are the conditions in which you will wear the two pair of undies?

Butch said...

It looks like all the bases are covered and the list isn't too large to manage, in my opinion. I always need to fight the urge of packing more and more because one never knows what you will need. Our holidays used to look like Liz Taylor's 28 baggage caravan until we realized "we" were going to be the ones that lug it all around.

Greg said...

I bet you've got those vacuum bags, where you pack the clothes in, suck out all the air and everything's flat as a pancake.

Even if that's not your method, I bet you're one of those expert bag-packers. I smell a blog post on technique...

Anonymous said...

What about a sweater?
Sorry, it's the mom in me.
-Rox

Patricia said...

I'm with Rox. I always feel the need to (over) pack for at least 3 different climates.

Cooper said...

No board shorts and flip flops? :)

I think you're doing very well only taking 3 t-shirts.

David said...

I bet your one of those guys that makes detailed lists of clothes and what nots that you give away to Good Will.

Plus the time and day that the truck showed up.

travelling, but not in love said...

I'm inspired. For vacations I always over-pack. Maybe making a list beforehand and sticking to it is what's needed.....

Mark in DE said...

Considering the length of time you'll be gone, I think you did a great job at packing lightly.

When Spouse & I went on our last vacation I only took clothing in 3 colors (but multiple shades) so everything went with everything. I took 1/2 the clothing Spouse took, but I had an infinite number of possible outfits. To me, that's more fun than bringing everything.

Mark :-)