Friday, May 02, 2008

Ricky Retardo*

I am really behind on everything. Somehow I don't have any time these days. Here look at some pretty pictures.

The tulips have risen. If you can believe it, it snowed the day I took this picture (Wednesday).

I still giggle inside when I see the word erect in any form. Some things I just can't grow out of. This is one of my favorite buildings in Montreal. They don't erect edifices like this anymore.

If it interests you, I left the images pretty big if you click on them. This is the entrance. The marble stairs are worn into patterns by 80 years of comings and goings.

Once inside, it is cavernous. Above is looking back toward the entrance from the picture before. There is amazing detail on every surface. I always take time to gawk at the ceiling when I go in. I asked the security guard if I could take pictures of the ceiling and he said yes, but I couldn't take pictures in the bank part.


This is looking toward the bank area. Sometimes I feel as though the grandiosity of it is gratuitous ostentation and a useless display of wealth. Still, I get a little thrill whenever I go in. Which I do often. See, downstairs at this place is a little cafe where you can get a huge salad selection to go for four bucks out the door. Right now my favorite combo is the vermicelli, spinach salad, nicoise salad and greek pasta salad.

Oh and this is just because I pass it every day in one of the metro tunnels. It's one of a series of posters for I can't remember what - Art in movement? This one always makes me feel good about scurrying around with all the worker drones in the tunnels going to work. At least I'm not chained to a job like this. Ugh.

* actual childhood epithet hurled at yours truly

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful bank. I bet there must a huge minimum balance requirement to pay for the erection...of that building.

Anonymous said...

Love your recent pictures. Thanks for keeping them large. It's strange how we seem to take pictures of the same places. I was just out to take some pictures of the tulips next to Christ Church on Sunday.

Cheers,

Chuck

Snooze said...

That last pic is so fitting as I have to run to my government job now.

Java said...

What a gorgeous building. Architecture speaks to me.

They called you that? Kids are so cruel!

Lemuel said...

The bank pictures are fabulous! I was reminded of the old bank building in Toronto that houses the Hockey Hall of fame (visited in the late 90's).

Anonymous said...

Those tulips are on University, aren't they? I took a similar picture yesterday :)

Anonymous said...

I can believe it was cold and cloudy when you took the picture of the Tulips, that is why they are closed. They only open on warm sunny days until they get old then they stop closing and fall apart. Just like me. haha. Richard the Great*

*What I call you for being a great photographer. Ed

Greg said...

Great tulips! And the bank...I just love all those beautiful old buildings in Montreal...it's been far too long since I visited! (Do you actually bank there, or were you just there for photos and a salad...?)

At least those worker drones all get to wear pink...

Cooper said...

The tulips are lovely. The building is, too. I love the light fixtures. I tried to see what the pink drones are making, but I couldn't tell. Whatever it is, I would rather do most any other job in the world.

My adventures said...

If you're Ricky Retardo, does that mean Serge has some splaining to do?

RJ March said...

Epithet: I was, for a time, "Wardick." Which, now that I am older, doesn't sound so bad.

Anonymous said...

We don't have buildings like that in the wild west, as far as I can ever tell.
They used to call me Foxy Roxy which is kind of brutal when you are 11 and feel too young to be foxy.
-Rox

GayProf said...

I like tulips.

Butch said...

The tulips are beautiful!

It is unfortunate that buildings are not designed anymore by the hands of the masterful craftsmen building them, who draw the buildings with an artful mind.

Chrome, glass and mirrors do not get it for my personal tastes. That type of architecture leaves me wanting to grab a sweater. Your pictures, especially the geometric shaped design on the ceiling of that building is truly beautiful and the entrance way stone work is very nice as well. Many thanks for sharing them.

TED said...

And all this time I thought that Oompa Loompas were only fictional.

(M)ary said...

"They don't erect edifices like this anymore."

an erect edifice? sounds intellectual and slightly dirty at the same time. (-:

Anonymous said...

Nice vivid colors in those tulips!In regards to the edifice, talk about an erection "lasting longer than four hours!"

Rick Bettencourt said...

God what gorgeous pictures. I love tulips my favorite flower.