Sunday, August 17, 2008

Hier

I can't believe I forgot my camera yesterday. That's not like me. If anything, I forget my cellphone, but never my camera. Oh well. This is a scan of the picture we bought before getting on the jet boat to play in the rapids. This is the number one E-ticket (does anyone remember when Disneyland used A-E tickets and you got a book of them at the entry? The E tickets were for the biggest and best rides.) if you are visiting Montreal. Oh sure, there is a Six Flags here, but that doesn't compare to wrangling with nature.

boating exam for Canadians

A couple of fun facts learned. The great lakes and St Lawrence river account for 18% of all the fresh water on Earth. (It's too bad we insist on poisoning the lakes and river.) The river levels are higher than in 23 years due to our massive snowfall in the winter and very wet spring and summer. Rapids are caused more by the narrowing of a river than any undulation of the riverbed.

After the fun, we strolled down to the village for a couple drinks. It was community day for the gay pride festival and we saw the booths for all the gay clubs in town - bridge, bowling, hiking, gayrobics and outreach programs. I thought it interesting to note that there was a "foster a child" booth actively seeking out foster parent couples in our community. We are nothing here if not progressive. (And no, we are still too selfish to take on a child.)

12 comments:

CoffeeDog said...

Does your pride festival last all summer? Haven't you mentioned pride in earlier posts? Ours is one weekend then poof, no more gays.

dantallion said...

Lived here most of my life, and I still haven't done the jet boat/rapids thing. Must put that on the "to do" list

Rox said...

They don't even believe in gays where I live, so yes, Montreal is very progressive!

Are your legs really THAT much more tanned than Serge's?

GayProf said...

I remember the ticket system at Disneyland. Mostly, I remember what a nightmare it was.

Patricia said...

I like that your priority is the camera over the phone. I forget my phone once in a while and have a slight twinge of whether or not I should go back in and get it (and sometimes I'm still in the driveway when this happens) and I almost never do. Chris forgets his phone and goes into a full blown panic attack.

I like the new profile pic. That would look great on your Facebook page, too. hint, nudge, hint.

Anonymous said...

Is that the ride that feels like 50 gallons of water is being dumped on one's head? Fun, but not so fun.

Did you remember to bring dry undies?

Birdie said...

Whoa! That ride looks like a blast! Whenever I make it to Montreal, that's definitely where I'm spending my E ticket.

Gayprof, I saved my E tickets for Haunted Mansion every time. I've been to WDW over 25 times—married to a Disneyphile—and went to the first day it was open to the press, courtesy of my stepdad's job.

Lemuel said...

Boating through rapids always look like fun.

Java said...

I moved to Orlando the year before Disney World opened. I remember E tickets. It's so much nicer now without having to keep track of the tickets. Of course I can't afford the entry fee, so it doesn't matter.
Remember, Richard just got back from California, so of coures he's got tanned legs.

Dear, if you are too selfish to take on a child, then by all means please do not take on a child. I've taken on 6 of them. It's way too demanding. You've got Sara. That's enough.

Butch said...

Speaking of the fresh water and the Great Lakes, before I went into the service back in the 60s, I went up to Lake Superior for a few days in Batchewana Bay, Ca. I used to live in the Detroit area at that time.Staying in a cabin on Lake Superior, one could take a glass and walk out to the Lake and get a drink of water it was so pure. I wonder if that can be said of it today. I remember the water being so very cold. My friend said that one could only swim in this water only during two weeks of the summer. All the other times the water was too cold. It is the same way here in the Puget Sound, a salt water area connected to the Pacific Ocean by the Straight of Juan di Fuca. It is too cold to swim in it unless you are visiting one of the islands in the San Juans during the hotter part of the summer. The water in certain areas of the islands is shallow allowing it to heat up a little.

My adventures said...

I want to do that the next time I'm in Montreal! That sounds like fun!

A Lewis said...

And I carried my camera all of the way to Orlando and back yesterday and didn't take a single pic. Irritating, isn't it?