Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Tweenerdom

Have you ever come across someone who whines thank you. Like they are forming the words thank and you, but the tone comes out as if they were complaining. Spouse is pretty expert at that in addition to his skills in sarcasm. The way he informs you that you've asked a stupid question is to answer the opposite of what should be the obvious answer. I've been much less tolerant of it since I tackled quitting the cancer sticks. Speaking of which, today I'm a TWEENER. I think it means that I'm between a newbie and an elder on the quit smoking ladder. 50 days done. Here's what I've noticed so far.

I think about it maybe a hundred times a day as opposed to ten thousand. The "craves" for me come in the form of a desire somewhere in the pit of my belly, and this desire is used to being fulfilled with a cigarette. I distract the desire by offering it mints and gum and deep breaths and in a few minutes it subsides. I have now learned that the "crave" will subside whether I smoke or not. In addition, the desire is much less insistent than at the beginning, so yes it's getting easier. I keep telling myself it's all psychological now, but it sure doesn't feel that way sometimes. The crave is really similar to hunger pangs now so I have to be careful about filling it with cookies, pies and ice cream. Or not. I've never really been fat, maybe I should try it on.

There have also been some subtle changes in the plumbing which I'm very satisfied to report.

The next milestone is in ten days (two months), 42 days (three months), and 50 days when I officially become an elder.

26 comments:

CoffeeDog said...

Do share the plumbing changes!

Snooze said...

don't try being fat. I tried it. It sucks. Congrats on being smoke free!

Petie said...

"I've never really been fat"

I hate you :p

Anyway, have you seen this http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10017585-1.html ? I send you an email, not sure if it got through :)

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to read your quitting smoking is going well.

Eff cigarettes, anyway.

I'll tell you something: this broad jumped on the elliptical next to mine. She stank of spent cigarettes.

I had to quit and jump on the stationary bike.

Stinky broad.

Brice said...

Congrats on the 50! You KNOW you're through the worst now.

Patricia said...

What Petie said.

Polt said...

I've been fat since I was a kid, trust me when I say that's one thing you do NOT want to try on. The evil of it is, it's MUCH easier to put it on and than it is to get it off.

Congrats on your tweenerdom. :)

HUGS>..

GayProf said...

I have trouble fighting off the craving for cookies, pies, and ice cream and I never smoked at all.

RJ March said...

Look at you-- you'll never be fat, ever. Flabby, maybe, but not very likely or soon. You're doing a great job. You can stroll back and find one of my comments begging you to stop smoking. Really.

RAD said...

I need to quit the smoking....I smoke on weekends....I will use you as a inspiration indeed.

Anonymous said...

Your blog is the first thing I read when checking emails at work. Hmmm...maybe that's why I don't answer emails very quickly...anyway...I quit about 13 years ago, when I decided it wasn't fair to my then infant son having to be strapped into the back of the car. It just wasn't fair to him. What are you doing with the extra money? I started throwing change in a 5 gallon glass jug. I empty it about twice/year and get a couple hundred out of it everytime. I always send a check to buy more stock for my son. I guess I'm still kind of trying to make it up to him.

Rox said...

OMG, I am so Serge with the sarcasm! I need to check that.

And oh, honey, I don't like that term ELDER. Change it to EXPERT or something. Elder sounds so, um, old. Blech!

Fatinah said...

I thought of you often while I was in Montreal surrounded by so many smokers! I'm so very happy that you've been able to go so long - keep up the good work!!

TED said...

You call that reporting? Can we get some details on the plumbing changes? (Or at least can I get some details?)

I suspect that you don't have it in you to be truly fat, so you may as well not bother trying. Thin looks good on you, anyway.

Anonymous said...

I've been fat and I've been thin and the worst thing about being fat is the internalized societal judgment. If we didn't believe being fat was bad, it wouldn't be.

Yay you for the non-smoking! I love that hack where you know the craving will go away and you offer it distractions. That is beautiful.

dantallion said...

50 is a GREAT milestone - hearty congrats.

I have a couple of whiney-thankers (Wankers for short?) in my world. My patience with it can be easily gauged by either how tired or how busy I am. The rest of the time, I just try to humour them.

dpaste said...

Initially I was curious about the plumbing but I think I know what you are referring to and I'd rather not know.

While I will also never be fat, I don't recommend it either. As has been noted above, from what I've heard it's much easier to acquire than to discard.

Congrats on the milestone, and btw, I really like the (not so) new profile pic.

Franciscus van Munster said...

Sarcasm is great

Anonymous said...

Stay way from gaining weight. I just lost 40lbs and it is not easy...

Find something else to do when you need to break the craving. Try doing some situps. Definately more healthy!

Anonymous said...

Somehow I knew there was going to be a mention of "plumbing" in here somewhere. But think of all the wrinkles you will NOT get in the coming months. And your lungs have got to be looking a loty more "peachier." Have you been having those mornings of coughing attacks as the tar makes its exit from the lungs? Regardless, congrats to you! Here's to "elderdom!"

Java said...

What Gayprof said.

But isn't he so sexy when he whines?

ME said...

Yeah for you! I'm only at 2 weeks by my plumbing isn't working! ack!

J-o-h-n-n-y said...

wish you well......:)

Mark in DE said...

Quitting smoking has resulted in positive changes to your plumbing? Oh, please elaborate!!!

Mark :-)

lattégirl said...

Way to go, my dear. I encourage you as time goes by, and remember me as I do the same with booze. ;-)

Butch said...

Whining has it's moments but if you can only get him to bark!! Woof, woof!!

Congrats on not smoking!