Sunday, August 14, 2011

La saison s'achève

The summer season is dwindling. We had the first not-hot day and you know what that means, the next thing you know it's gonna be Christmas. And the seven month stint in the icebox. Of course, between now and then we get the loveliest season of all, fall, of which there will be more and more hints in the upcoming weeks.

Yesterday we went on the jet boating ride, my fifth time I believe, and it was as fun as ever. Froze to death the rest of the afternoon though. It must have been pretty humid because hours later my shorts were still totally wet. It is still the funnest thing to do in Montreal. Every tourist should include it in their itinerary.

Hey, they called me from that TV show, Un Souper Presque Parfait. It seems I'm on the list of contestants or alternatives and I won't know if I'm going to be on the show until the week prior. If they don't call me in the next 4 months, I didn't get on. They called me while I was in the metro station and the guy who interviewed me spoke ridiculously fast, I think I caught maybe half of what he was saying. It was like those radio commercials with the super fast talkers. Stressed me the hell out. Now I've got to practice cooking. I explained this show before on the blog in case you don't remember. I hope I get on! Fingers crossed.

Serge and I have been trying to decide what to do over xmas vacation. Friends invited us to go down to Mexico and rent a house in a sleepy fishing village. The price of the house was right, but sheesh are airfares ridiculous right now. Then we were toying with the idea of Puerto Vallarta for xmas week. The bad side of that one was a return flight at 2:50am. Ugh. We were also thinking of just hanging around Southern California like we did last year, a few days in Palm Springs and San Diego for example. That would certainly be the cheapest option but we want warmth. It's possible that it would be warm in Socal but hardly a guarantee. It was chilly last year at that time. Finally we decided to cruise out of Long Beach down to Mexico. You have to pay more for that week compared to other times of the year, but it's something we both know we will enjoy. 8 nights, can't wait. Anybody want to join us?

Sorry about being a bad blogger, I've been working and trying to finish up my current group, and get ready for September when the new groups start. No 12 of 12, I just wasn't feeling it. Next month perhaps.


13 comments:

GayProf said...

Anywhere with sun would be a winner for a winter vacation it seems to me. Good luck with the game show.

Rox said...

I was in Michaels' the other day...Christmas stuff. Costco? Christmas cards, wrap and a tree. You know, I do love me some Christmas!
We're finally getting warm temps but fall is near. The leaves are already starting to look suicidal. It's going to be a long winter.

Nik_TheGreek said...

What to do over Christmas holidays? Already? You do like to plan ahead.

CoffeeDog said...

Your xmas vacation sounds perfect!

I am saddened for the end of summer, the changing of light, dwindling days, and cold. :-( I do love fall, I just loathe what comes after it.

Mike said...

That cooking show sounds awesome! I hope you get on it, make a big name for yourself, and then bring the show to the U.S. and "discover" me. Do i ask for too much??

We arriving in provincetown yesterday for our weeklong vacation -- and you're thinking of xmas break...!! You mentioned Palm Springs -- that's always delightful during the cold months. Love floating around in a pool thinking about all the snow back home. Let us know what you decide!

Java said...

If you're not ready to release the heat, come on down to South Carolina. We have plenty to spare, and it will be uncomfortably warm for at least another month, maybe two.

Mark My Words said...

What great weather we had this summer. While it is still warm out, a hint of fall is definitely in the air. I'm kinda looking forward to it though just for the change it will bring.

Anonymous, too said...

Hope you get on the cooking show, make a great impression, and get your own show on one of the cable networks. Also hope they "interview" Georgie about your cooking, and he makes a great impression, gets his own TV show, a big merchandising deal, and truckloads of $$$.

Did you look into South Texas for your X-mas trip, say somewhere around Corpus Christi or South Padre Island?? You may not get sunbathing weather, but you won't be up to your butts in snow. Plus, that's the off-season there; hotel rates should be lower.

Cubby said...

Good luck on maybe getting picked for the show. How exciting!

Birdie said...

You're a shoo-in for that show: good-looking, funny and a foodie. They know what sells. :) Can't wait to see you on YouTube! Georgie can be your mascot and Serge will be the food tester.

Anonymous said...

What Birdie said.

The videos you used to post were always so charming -- they'd be fools not to have you on!

Patricia said...

I love Rox's thought of "suicidal" leaves. It's true, I see pockets of yellow and orange in a few trees already. We've had such an intensely warm winter, it makes me fear the potential intensity of winter.

I couldn't do the jet boating thing. The video alone made me nauseous.

Rebekah said...

Vegas. We need to go to Vegas.