Saturday, May 28, 2005

High dirt tolerance

Saturday morning, my day off, it's rainy still and my brain feels thick, maybe waterlogged. Not a good sign for writing. Last night, as expected we went out with the guys from Halifax, having a drink in their room, then in a bar, then at the restaurant and finally at the nude dancer place . Ok, so I had 2 drinks at the restaurant. And maybe there was a second one at the strip club, that part is a little fuzzy. For me that's a lot of alcohol, but for the people I was with, that was nothing and they easily consumed double what I did. It's true, I'm a lightweight, I get tired early (went home at 10:15) and am often accused of being a "casse le party" as they say here (ruin the party). What can I say, except that I marvel at drinkers' self-pickling abilities, and willingness to poison tomorrow, I am mystified at the way it transforms personalities and seems to energize them (makes me want to go to bed) and I'm a little scared of the way alcohol can simply obliterate memories of ones actions and words. So why don't I have a coke at the bar instead? That's a fine question and let's just say that by then my judgement was ever so slightly impaired. So with cobwebs in my mind, I dutifully post. (Imagine my puffy bloodshot eyes and my hand over my heart)

Later today, the gentlemen will come to our house to prepare dinner. This has become a sort of tradition, Jack is an amazing chef and I always learn great things from him, like how to make the most incredible caesar salad from scratch, including the croutons. I managed to pick up and move the vacuum to a highly visible location, and now it sits there chiding me inspiring a kind of well, hatred, frankly and I have no escape with company coming and all. The only hope I have now is that Serge will somehow do it before I get the chance. (not that I would ever, ever try to manipulate him into that) Yesterday I did the dishes and the laundry but I will get no credit for that, since he wasn't here when I did it (viewing the chores being done is very important around here), but I'm sure I will get the "you never clean the toilet" line at some point from him today. True, as all my former housemates can attest, I'm least likely to find the toilet dirty enough to clean. This has caused all sorts of resentment in others, and you know, like SO WHAT if there is a skidmark, it's under the water for chrissakes, it's not going to jump out and hurt you. I know no one will be on my side on this one, but I just like to think of it as, I have a high dirt tolerance. Did you know, for example, that well over a billion people on this planet live in houses with floors made out of, yes, you guessed it, dirt? So, I say, it can't be all that bad now can it?

You would think there that I was on a roll, but no I have reached my creative limit for today. I'm hoping the sun will pop out later - we may well hit 70 degrees today. And a chance of thunderstorms in the evening. You know how I feel about that!

1 comment:

r said...

Sounds like a crazy weekend for you. Stayed up past 9pm? You wild man.

By the way, I don't like cleaning the toilet either. But, when one lives alone...