Sunday, January 27, 2008

This n that

It's my last day of freedom. Tomorrow, I'm back to working five days a week. It's time, I think 5-6 weeks off is the perfect amount of time to recharge one's batteries. In France, minimum mandated vacation per year is 5 weeks which seems quite understanding of the human condition. In the states, I was brainwashed into thinking vacation was a luxury instead of a necessity. Even here, two weeks paid vacation is the minimum all employers must provide for the employees. Of course, I'm not an employee, I'm a contractor, so I get none of the compensation, but I do get oodles of time off.

So begins my 17 weeks of steady work. After that, we're going on our vacation of a lifetime, cruising the mediterranean and seeing Paris and Rome. I say vacation of a lifetime because it's more expensive than anything we've ever done, and possibly more expensive than any trip we'll ever take again. The part I'm looking forward to the most is Pompeii.

Yesterday, I said goodbye to a good friend who is moving back to France. I'm sad to see her go, as we enjoyed the company of her family. Before the kids arrived, we went camping together each summer, and I looked forward to doing that in the future once the kids got older. But no, they got fed up with (employment, climate, lack of friends&family) it here and are fleeing.

I'll miss you Marie-Annick. Best of luck in all your future endeavors.

17 comments:

CoffeeDog said...

Saying so long to good friends is hard. Some friends of ours insist on moving to CHI, I am aghast at their choice, too freakin' cold, and I will miss them.

I have always wanted to see Paris. I am so jealous. The dollar is so waek right now, it'd cost a fortune to go to Europe.

Anonymous said...

I'm always saddened to hear of wonderful people not finding happiness and fleeing. I can totally relate to it, but it still saddens me. However, I do wish them the world and all the happiness in them with hopes of opportunities for you and they to rekindle the friendship in the future.

By the way, mega-sexy picture of you with Marie-Annick! ;-)

-C

Anonymous said...

Torn, your work weeks will crawl by like molasses in January but the vacation will be wonderful. Maybe you can vist Marie-Annick when yo go to Europe. Of all the cities of Europe I think Paris would be the most interesting. I'll never see Europe so I expect you to take many pictures and a Video or two. Ed

My adventures said...

that trip sounds fab, color me green with envy!!!

Patrick said...

My friends (especially the ones closest to me in age) keep leaving NYC too. It's hard, isn't it. But I suspect we will see more of one another than seems possible right now. Likewise I wouldn't be surprised if you end up getting to go camping with Marie-Annick and her family, perhaps sooner than you think.

I can't wait to read the reports, and see the photos of your trip. Seeing the Mediterranean is a dream of mine.

Java said...

Friends are the most valuable treasure. It is hard to part with good friends.
The planned trip sounds marvelous. I hope the time flies until departure, then crawls so you can savour every moment of the adventure.

Rox said...

That trip sounds like my dream vacay...except for the whole "getting there" part. lol!

Do you have some blog entries in the bag for when work gets too hectic?

Anonymous said...

Sooo envious of the Paris/Rome trip! We were supposed to go to both of those cities back in 01. Then 9/11 happened and we shelved those plans. Now I doubt I'll ever get there. Oh well, Cleveland is still the Paris of the Midwest so I suppose I've pretty much seen it anyway. Right?

Anonymous said...

It's always harder being the one left than the one that leaves. And as we get older, it seems so much harder to make new friends. You know what I mean; good friends are few and far between.

Man, your trip is going to be wonderful!

GayProf said...

I am jealous of your trip to Pompeii.

It is sad to see good friends leave. At least now, though, you will have more reasons to go to France.

don said...

The vacation sounds great.
Rome and Paris are my two of my favorite cities. When I am there, I walk all day, taking breaks in small cafe's or having impromptu picnics in parks.

Anonymous said...

It' true, labor here in the U.S. has had it's back broken. This has been the goal of the unchecked corporations for a long time.

I don't see it improving much. People are too enslaved to their televisions which always try to soothe rather than irritate. '

The key difference between the U.S. labor movement and those in France and Germany are that in the latter countries, corporations have a very tenuous existence. They don't have the rights of personhood that corporations in the U.S. have under the 14th Amendment. Lookup Santa Clara County vs. Southern Pacific Railroad 118 U.S. 394 (1886)

A Lewis said...

Remember, it's those long weeks of work that provide those vacations of a lifetime. The trip to Europe sounds absolutely fantastic....and expensive. Ouch.

Normlr said...

The trip sounds amazing! Good for you. Should keep you going for the next 17 weeks or so.

Cooper said...

Seventeen weeks of countdown sleeps until Paris and Rome! Such richness.

Mark in DE said...

Your "vacation of a lifetime" sounds dreamy! Wish I were going too.

Mark :-)

Anonymous said...

Bonjour.