Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Usually I know the cost of things

I was talking to a buddy yesterday, one of the other English teachers, and he asked me if my guy is coming soon. My guy is the guy I procure hemp products from who apparently is known for providing much more. At least that was how he was introduced to me way back when. I only have one particular interest, so I have never inquired as to other items available. Anyway, my buddy asked me if my guy could get coke, and not the drinkable kind. I told him I supposed so since his nickname is "a little bit of everything". Then he asked how much it cost. I had to laugh, "How should I know, I don't even know how to refer to the quantity. But I know an eight-ball is a lot." Then I told him the story of the eight-ball of coke.

I must have been 20ish when after working an evening shift at the Hyatt, some workmates ended up at my place having a few drinks. One of the guys there that night was David, a busboy with a strange tale of how he had become a moonlighting drug dealer. It seems he stumbled upon fifty grand worth of crystalmethamphetamine in a bag in an empty phone booth out in Palm Springs. Instead of turning it into the police, he moved to a different city (ours) and sold it to live. He made connections and became a dealer. He worked as a busboy, he said, as a cover - he really didn't need the job. Thinking back, I'm wondering if it was all bullshit, but this is not where the story ends. We drank a few, everyone left, and I went to bed.

The next morning, I went out to get the morning paper and there on my doorstep was a bag of white powder. A pretty decent sized bag at that. (Later, I found out it was an eight-ball, a quantity I am still in the dark about. Visually though, I remember the size of that bag of powder.) Well, I knew who that must belong to, how could David be so careless? We'll see what he says at work today. I brought the little bag into the house and put it in a drawer. The whole day at work, David didn't say a thing and didn't seem to have a care in the world, so I didn't say anything either. After work, I called my on-again off-again boyfriend (8 years of that nonsense) who had quite the nose for such things and told him of my windfall. I may have still been blabbing to him on the phone when the front door opened. He had come right over to check it out. It took us two days, but we did it all. Both of us bloody-nosed and gnashy-toothed out of our minds. I'm sure we had some rockin conversation as that's how I used to poo-poo the drug. "What, you pay $50 to have a good conversation?" Even so, the whole event has achieved a patina of misery around it, indeed, I have never purchased coke since that event. It's kind of like rum, I can't drink it due to it being the first alcohol that I got sick from. I've had a line or two offered to me over the years, and that has been fine, but I told my friend that I had no idea how much it costs these days, and now he knows why. As do you.

22 comments:

My adventures said...

i was never a coke fan... used it a few times as well as lots of other things... i stick with the hemp products myself, for medicinal reasons only, of course... ha!!! is attitude adjustment medicinal?

Anonymous said...

I'm one of those oddities who can't touch drugs of any kind. Whatever the average effect of a particular substance is, it's usually many times more intense on me. That even goes as far as alcohol, which makes me a very cheap drunk. But there's also the fact I know myself to have an extremely addictive personality, so I don't touch anything. I have no problem with others doing it, though, as long as it's not becoming destructive in their lives.

GayProf said...

I also would have no idea about the price of coke. Or how to procure it... In a pinch, though, I am sure one of my students would know.


No matter what other drug they come up with through time, humanity always returns to alcohol in the end. Can't improve on perfection it would seem.

Patricia said...

that silly commercial - this is your brain/this is your brain on drugs - ruined/saved me forever. i'm glad you survived. am i the only one who's scared at the thought of doing all that coke in a weekend? >shiver< i'm such a nerd.

Anonymous said...

I grew up during the hippy 60's without ever taken any drugs. I went to Rock Concerts where they were smoking it all around me. I know it when I smell it. I too am very intolerant of Alcohol so I assume Drugs would be the same. I am a fraidy cat and would have flushed the Coke down the drain. Ed

Lacey said...

patricia...what patricia said. drugs. are. stupid.
eom

Anonymous said...

Was it coke or crystal? An eight ball is about 3.5 grams (1/8 Oz). I take it from the amount of the stuff you consumed in two days it was actually coke?

Rox said...

The first time I have ever saw coke was my first summer away from home. Kids were rolling up fifty dollar bills and doing lines at a party. It freaked me out too much to try, I'd always rather drink and smoke a little pot.

Of course, now, I just have a few glasses of wine and I'm a happy girl. I haven't had the lizard mixture in twenty years!

Anonymous said...

It just occured to me that David left the drugs on purpose hoping you would want/need more. As the old saying goes: The first time is free the next time is a hundred bucks. Ed

Anonymous said...

Coke and the 1980s were like peaches and cream for many party animals.

Fortunately, I could rarely afford to buy it. There was a group of guys in the orchestra who got together frequently for beer, weed and darts. Very occasionally there would be a little coke; everyone pitched in for a line or two.

I stopped doing it, and going to these parties whenever there was coke, when I suddenly realized that there was a room full of people talking and NOT listening.

Ultimately it's not that great of a thing. Very dangerous, in fact. I'll stick to my glass of beer, wine or vodka.

Unknown said...

"What, you pay $50 to have a good conversation?"

My thoughts exactly, though I have felt differently about other substances. Query to follow.

David said...

Wow.

New wrinkle in the life of tornwordo.

I guess I should not be shocked, but I am.

Drugs are dumb and designed for the weak willed. I've never thought you to be either.

A Lewis said...

So, the boy can talk shit and drugs. Wow.

Normlr said...

Had a few exes in the past who did it and I would try occasionally.

I kind of turns you into an asshole - which my exes didn't need any help with.

Can't even be bothered to smoke pot anymore.

madamerouge said...

Cameron hit the nail on the head: I suddenly realized that there was a room full of people talking and NOT listening.

Anonymous said...

I think i'd have been too scared to try it. And then i'd rationalize.. "it'd be so unhealthy.." or something.

Alcohol is my drug of choice i suppose. I did pot once, but i was too drunk to notice the effect :P

Snooze said...

What a great story. I love the fact that you did it all in a weekend and never again. You aren't afraid to live.

TJ said...

I tried just about anything and everything in my earlier days (I have no idea how I made it this far). The only thing off limits were things that were injected so heroin and such was a definite no no. I mainly stayed with the green stuff. I tapered right down in these later years but have found that the green stuff really works for me in the pain relief department. Well not so much relief as distraction from the pain but either way it works.

Mark in DE said...

Wow, quite a story! You were quite trusting to use that stuff, not knowing where it came from.

Mark :-)

mare said...

I never used Coke after I tried it for the first time, sneezed and emptied the mirror. My "friends" almost lynched me.

Anonymous said...

Nothing like a good drug story.

lattégirl said...

I think, speaking as someone else's Mom, that you should be careful about talking about your purchases of hemp products here, lest you be fired from your job(s).

Unless, that is, you are buying handbags and other accessories made from the hemp plant, which are very trendy (ahem). I hear there is a very good artiste on St-Laurent who specializes in such natural items.