Saturday, April 12, 2008

AM blather

I weighed myself yesterday. Seems this sickness took ten pounds from me. Ten pounds, I haven't weighed this little since teenagedom. I was pretty shocked when I saw it. See I've been the same weight for a decade, always around 175. Now I'm at 163, just two pounds heavier than Serge. That explains the taste in my mouth too. I know from having fasted that there is a special taste when the body switches over and starts eating itself. Oh and a little residual gift from all of this is the appearance of a cold sore on my nostril. That herpes always gets you when you're down.

Watched No Country for Old Men last night. We had to, I mean it did win Best Picture of the year, and I've always been drawn into Coen brothers films. (Remember Blood Simple?) I had to put the subtitles as I do for British movies. I have a lot of trouble understanding the strong southern accent along with the frequent grammatical errors inherent in the dialect. He don't done nuthin wrong, for example. (And this reminds me of the other day as I was feverish on the couch watching Wheel of Fortune. There was a contestant from the south and every time he called for the letter "N", it came out as two syllables - AY-ENN. I found it quite funny.) I don't know if I'd call it best picture, it was riveting in much the same way a car accident is. The violence doesn't do much for me and this film had pretty much nothing but. It did make my heart race though.

I'm sending my food service resume to the Jazz Festival today. I figure I can make a grand or two working those two weeks and then enjoy the rest of the summer. If I get a job that is. But really, who wouldn't want to hire me? I'm sure that I'll whine bitterly when I actually have to do the work, (and I'm gunning for manning the hotdog cart) and it's hot and humid and every patron is ripped to the tits. Still, it'll probably make for some fun blog fodder.

18 comments:

Polt said...

the best part of this whole post is the four words; "ripped to the tits!"

For this reason, if for none else, I love you Tornwordo! You're my hero! :)

HUGS...

Anonymous said...

I agree Torn, No Country for Old Men is a movie filled with violence for violence sake. It had a stupid ending and certainly didn't deserve best picture.
I can never understand the contestants on Wheel of fortune. I hear them say C then Pat says yes there is a T.
You weigh less than me now. I'm carrying about 30 extra pounds. Now that it is warming up I'll be more active. I usually lose weight in the summer. Ed

Snooze said...

I'm just bitter because I only lost two pounds with my illness!

CoffeeDog said...

That is funny you had to put the subtitles on! I guess for me, living in the south now, and having been in the Army (lots of southern red-necky boys there) I am used to that accent.

The movie was so-so, as you said, like a car wreck. I didn't like the sheriff parts, where he'd wax poetic about his life. I wanted more violence, more killing. Geez what does that say about me!

Have you seen the Daniel Day Lewis movie? He did an incredible performance!

Patricia said...

Clearly, I need to get the flu.

Five times.

Lemuel said...

If I did not know how you did it, I would be jealous of your weight loss.

I work with a guy who was from Louisiana. He is quite the pedant, and therefore it is hilarious to hear him pronounce certain words. "Theater" is one. "thee-AY-tor" Drive me nuts. He cannot handle a diphthong to save his soul.

Ripped to the max?! I'm reserving my seat now for those posts! :)

Doug said...

Ok, I haven't watched Wheel of Fortune in about 300 years, but I actually watched that specific episode with the EY-ENN guy. I was flipping channels and just had an urge to watch it.

Anonymous said...

I want to know more about this taste in the mouth when your body begins eating itself. Color me intrigued!

Anonymous said...

I was watching Wheel with the kids years ago and this Southerner was on and she said loudly "I'D LAHK TO BUY A VOW-HEL I'D LAHK TO BUY AN AY-A" and the kids and I still quote her!

I haven't seen Old Country...I'm not a fan of Daniel Day Lewis and especially since he stole the Oscar from My Johnny this year. Incidentally, I watched Sweeny Todd and if you enjoy musicals, it's fabulous!
-Rox

GayProf said...

That's a pretty serious illness to lose that much weight that quickly.

Butch said...

I haven't watched that film yet, but plan to do so, and soon. If the violence makes sense in the movie then, it adds to the plot but if it is thrown in for sensationalism, it becomes tedious for me. Like the typical summer horror flick, they should rate them with little "pints-of-blood" bags as to the amount spilt during the movie. (e.g. 5 bags, bloodiest, 1 bag, skin prick.)

Glad you're feeling a little better and once your eating habits are regular, you will come up to your average weight.

Hotdog vendor can be interesting and I'm a people watcher anyway. If you are a hotdog eater, this might convince you of not having one for awhile. Good luck with the application for this summer's hiatus from teaching.

Anonymous said...

Daniel Day Lewis is not in No Country for Old Men I think he is in a film called "There will be Blood". Ed

Greg said...

Did you mention the weightloss to Kraft when you called the other day? You could make a corrolation by guilt and get more coupons!

But it'll make you nicely toned for the hot dog cart duty!!

Thunderstorms all day today, hail this morning. COOL clouds.

RJ March said...

Mmmmm-- hot dogs.

justabamaguy said...

Hey Torn, I feel so/so about the "No Country For Old Men" movie I saw a few weeks back at the dollar movie theater. The movie does leave you with an empty ending in my view. And I have to laugh about your comment on "Wheel of Fortune". Not thatI have a strong accent but I've heard those two syllable type folks around town here in Alabama. What brand water heater did you buy if I may ask?

Mark in DE said...

Oh, to even see 175 lbs again would be little less than a fantasy for me. (Sigh)

Everyone I know whose seen 'No Country...' has said the same as you, so Spouse & I passed on an invitation to watch it with friends recently. I do not care to watch violence for entertainment.

Mark :-)

S said...

I've got a story about a man calling italians "eye-talians" that I'm sure you'd like to hear.

Anonymous said...

I ALWAYS use subtitles when watching movies. Regardless of the dialect, sometimes it's hard to catch what was said, even after rewinding a few hundred times. As has been said above a few times, I am not into watching violence for entertainment. I must be too queeny. ;-)