Friday, April 25, 2008

Snippets

* Almost all the snow is gone. 12 days after our last snowfall. The snow dump sites still have mountains of it though.

* Our hockey team is in the playoffs. They won the first round and then the ensuing street party finished up as a riot. Dude,we won, let's burn cars and loot businesses. I was not surprised to see that it was all males doing the destroying. I swear the world would be more peaceful if all males were made eunuchs.


* The trees are just starting to leaf. This is a full week early. I have never seen this happen here (never meaning 8 years) before the month of May.

* Remember how I mentioned my dad's dog dying? Well they got a new one. A little chihuahua named Tiki.

* I found a bag of drugs in the middle of a busy street. It looks like a dealer dropped his wares for the evening. It's either little portions of speed or coke. What a happy day that would have been had I been in college. Now I think, ugh, that ain't going up my nose. I gave it to someone who may have use for it. (And should I be writing this? I try to be honest here, and I've done nothing wrong, but it still feels weird.)

* The firetrucks here are festooned with the hockey team's colors and flags. They look like clownmobiles.

* I remember when everyone in America festooned their cars with the flag. Now I'm seeing the same phenomenon here with the hockey team, and thousands of ordinary people are wearing the flag, putting it on their cars and yesterday I saw this, a huge statue (which I've highlighted in a previous snippets somewhere) that someone had dressed. I don't mean to be a spoilsport, but this all seems so irrelevant and nonsensical.


* Sometimes I go here and check the card of the day or a single card. It always seems to make me reflect or focus in on things in a helpful way.

* Here's a shot of our newly defrosted freezer. (Scintillating I know.) That box next to the ice cube trays is a 20 pack of corndogs that I picked up for spouse since they were on sale. He scolded me telling me that it was wrong to eat those, I shouldn't be encouraging him to eat bad food. I reminded him that it wasn't nice to scold the person for the gift. Then he ate half the box in 3 days, so now I kind of see his point.

This post supported by: Quality Plus Tickets

26 comments:

Snooze said...

I cheer for the Habs, I'm so glad they've advanced in the play-offs, but I was saddened to see that some people take winning as a chance to riot.

Anonymous said...

I wonder how the artist liked having his sculpture defaced by a Hockey shirt.
I hope the friend you gave the drugs to is on the police force.
The card of the day looks like a lot of B.S.
Next time get spouse a box of rice cakes.
Little Tiki is so cute I want to snuggle him.
Ed

Patricia said...

We (meaning Detroit, just down the road) are big on decorating everything with sports stuff. Sometimes it goes a little overboard but it's fun and seems to bring people together (without the rioting, of course) and I get into it.

Does freezing batteries prolong shelf life?

The drugs... dude... dumpster. I'm just too paranoid about "found" things like that.

dpaste said...

I'm with the above two commenters re: the drugs. I hope your friend was either on the police force or in waste management, otherwise not sure that was a good call.

Lemuel said...

First of all, Tiki's got my heart with just one photo!! I expect periodic reports now!!

"My team" is also in the playoffs, but I think I'm a bit more sensible. As recall the Habs had had a bit of a dry spell so male exuberance in Quebec is to be expected. Still, why did I clutch my crotch when I read of your solution? *grin*

Lemuel said...

BTW, I'm with the others on the drugs - do not touch and cross to the other side of the street!

RJ March said...

Well, maybe not ALL men should be eunuchs, you catch my drift?

tornwordo said...

Oh my naive commenters. Everyone knows the police have all the best drugs. They don't need any more.

Anonymous said...

Derwood's team is out of the playoffs, WOOHOO!!!!!! I used to like hockey before I married a "superfan" now I bloody hate it!

Flush the drugs, man.

Adorable puppy!!
-Rox

YNAGER '65 said...

The batteries int he freezer is just an old wives tale right???? Your freezer is so nicely packed...ours is nothing like that, we need to go thru and throw some stuff away.

don said...

Dude,
your freezer is as big as my entire flat. Clean out the corndogs and then perhaps I could sublet.
Speaking of, I only ever had a corndog at the Texas State Fair. It was disgusting but I felt that I should have one because everyone else was eating them. Which is odd because everyone else was wearing acid-wash jeans and yet I knew that was gross.

Greg said...

Tiki's the cutest thing!

That sculpture at least appears to be a hockey player, so the jersey's not completely out of place...but I'll bet those firetrucks look goofy.

Shame it wasn't a bag of something green.

I can see where Serge is coming from. (Was he *really* scolding?) It's sweet when Owen buys me poptarts in assorted flavors...but its just wrong for me to eat them all...and even moreso during those late night blogging sessions!

Cooper said...

I love that upright freezer. That's what I want next time. I have one of the old kind and I tend to forget what is at the bottom of it.

I am sure if the Canucks were in the playoffs, the same phenomenon would be happening here. Hopefully bar the violence. I heard on the news yesterday that the police have determined it was a small organized group which did the planned violence, and they are not necessarily Canadiens fans. Why, I don't know.

Have a great weekend, Torn.

ChickenStrip said...

I love corndogs. I don't eat them, but I love them.


Poor Serge. He never stood a chance...

Anonymous said...

O' the cuteness of the pup!

Did I ever tell you about when Momma found a brick of compacted white stuff washed up on a Mexican beach? It was huge. Now *that* I would have been afraid to touch. They lugged it back to their hotel room and looked at it for a few days and then pitched it.

Didja guys make a new snow record?

GayProf said...

Apparently Patricia and I are near neighbors...

The statute looks like some sort of creature that escaped from a bad Doctor Who episode. Unsuspecting Brits will be attacked by a giant eight-foot hockey cyberfan...

Butch said...

Oh, is that how a freezer is supposed to look? ;-) Ours is in such disorder, I can only guess what is on every shelf without having to dig around looking. Nice job, by the way.

I grew up in a sports town (Detroit) and know how crazy it can get when there is a winning team in the playoffs. Good luck to yours.

Mark in DE said...

We all know corndogs aren't very good for you, but they're so darn convenient! From freezer to microwave and 45 seconds later you've got a hot and tasty snack. Or dinner when you don't feel like cooking. I'm just sayin'.

Mark :-)

Anonymous said...

Tiki is looking very cute! And I had to laugh at the corn dog story!! It's nice to see a neatly organized freezer; unless it was done for this photo shoot. :-)

Summer said...

I can tell that you're not Canadian by the hockey snippet.

Anonymous said...

Ha ha. Montreal or Amsterdam, what's the difference? You can find drugs on the streets anywhere!
Do they have any 'Coffeeshops' in Montreal as well? ;-)

Devo said...

That little puppy is so cute!! I want her. When I first saw the pic, I thought you were going to say she was yours!! And your freezer, wow! I need one of those, so much better than the chest one I have. I think I would have run if I found a bag of drugs, since everything is laced with meth now, it scares the shit out of me.

dykewife said...

your freezer is just like ours!! :) we used to have a chest freezer, but being short, i tended to nearly fall in when i had to get something out from the bottom of it. also, figuring out what we had underneath stuff was a pain.

i love the new deep freezer. too bad it's not as energy efficient as the chest type. however, the benefit of having everything in sight and being able to pick stuff out quickly is a definite bonus...aside from not falling in i mean.

Anonymous said...

the drugs should have gone down the toilet. shame on you! the hockey thing...stupid people are everywhere it seems.

Java said...

My freezer needs to be defrosted. It has been on my list of things to do for 2 years now. I envy your defrosted freezer. Mine is also an upright, and I love it!

Hockey? What's this thing you call hockey?

A Lewis said...

Dear Ex Druggie,
I love your pretty freezer. And I also love the fact that your snow is gone. Ours too! Happy drug-free day. Love, An Admirer