Lyvvie did a music meme so I decided to too. I rarely talk about music because it's such a subjective art to appreciate. For example, I clicked on the Souxie (or however retardedly she spells Susie) and the Banshees link and was instantly transported to the depressingly austere apartment of a crystal addled friend from '84 or '85. I loathed his favorite music and to this day that band makes me smell patchouli, which this friend seemed to bathe in. I despise patchouli, which I've mentioned before. No, you can't convince me otherwise, that smell is vile. Anyway, this friend LOVED the band and played it incessantly and you could never have a conversation with him when it was playing as he could only focus on the music - an irritating social habit which I would never tolerate today. A few years ago we exchanged updates after having been out of touch for 20 years and he mentioned still being a fan of that band. Back in the 80's, I had what he thought was very poor taste in music. Perhaps, but I thought I was hip because I listened to Kate Bush along with the showtunes and disco. Spouse has come to tolerate my music and rarely complains. Of course nowadays I listen almost exclusively to jazz and blues. Every time I get in the car after spouse has driven the channel is changed to classic rock (which I like too) but if we're in the car together, he lets me put it on the jazz station. Gosh that was a long and disjointed introduction to this simple meme. Put the ipod, or ipod-like device (can we just call them all ipods regardless of the brand? we do it with Kleenex after all) on shuffle and note the first ten songs that come up.
1. Tim Maia - Me de Motivo I borrowed this disc from the upstairs Brazilian tenants.
2. R.E.M. - Nightswimming (had to google lyrics to figure out - untitled song from disc Laverne made for me on the ipod)
3. Talking Heads - Perfect World there's no video on youtube of this song, but here's another good one from the album.
4. Incognito - Yesterday's Dreams Oh how I love this band.
5. Los Amigos Invisibles - Cachete a Cachete (My video of this band is by far the most popular video I've ever posted to youtube)
6. Anita Baker - Watch Your Step
7. Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 - After Midnight There's no video of this song, but here's another one I like
8. Alison Moyet - For You Only
9. Gloria Gaynor - Honeybee
10. Nicole Kidman and Cast - Moulin Rouge - Sparkling Diamonds
Hey this was actually a lot of fun. Shuffle is so bitchin'. It's interesting that numbers 3, 6 and 8 are in my top ten favorite albums ever. I recommend doing this just so you can see how fun it is to find your band's music on youtube. I loved finding out number 9 is the original, very cool indeed. I was surprised no Kate Bush came up as I have a lot of her music. (She arrived at song number 12.)