Saturday, January 21, 2006

Saturday update

Sara in her favorite position where she spends most days in the winter.

Well this has been one lousy week to remember. Burying a family member and falling sick were the themes, depressing. Both of us had to call in sick and though I (expertly) have avoided the docter, Spouse had to go in after having some kind of asthmatic response. (Which means he couldn't breathe.) We had also planned to quit smoking this week, but with the funeral and the sickiness, it has been postponed once again. (I don't set myself up for failure, there must be at least 3 consecutive zero-commitment days where I can hole up, or wander out to a movie or something in my state of whacked out withdrawal.)

Monday, everything gets going in my work life, with a full schedule before me. In effect, I've had four weeks off, and as usual, it never feels like it's enough. I remember working all year for two weeks off of vacation for many years in California. That was dreary. Why do we put up with it? Why do we agree to work for a company that needs 50 weeks of your life per year? Money just isn't that valuable.

Knitting has found it's way into my life much as this blog has, in blocks of time that I didn't know I had. When I'm working, I might scribble out a blog post in my notebook on the bus during the day, and then set my alarm a half an hour early so that I can get up and have enough time to post it. (the malady is known as obsessive compulsive disorder) And now with the knitting, I can't seem to watch TV without it. So that's how the extra ball of yarn I have is also becoming a scarf, as we try to tune in the local stations with the rabbit ear antenna that we bought. (Construction on the house has prevented Satellite reception.)

At least it hasn't been cold. It's been a wild weather week with lots of rain, freezing rain, and snow causing double the hospital visits due to falls. But it hasn't been very cold, with the temp staying around freezing. I'll take that in January any time.

4 comments:

Chunks said...

Use the patch, I swear to God! It saved me. I still felt like killing myself, but it was the only thing that prevented that. It is supposed to take twelve weeks, but I did it in six and have never ever cheated or re-started.

You can do it, put your back into it!!

The knitting will help, maybe it will keep your hands busy enough to not touch the nasty butts. Good luck!!!

What kind of dog is Sara?

r said...

I was thinking the other day how I used to do all kinds of crafty things and cook and ride my bike for hours each day; back when I had a job that didn't fill every free moment.

I miss it sometimes, but I think I'm the kind of person that just needs to fill up her time (not that I'm against sitting on the couch and watching movies for hours either).

I'm just glad I have a job I love... it would suck to work this much just for the money.

Lyvvie said...

You can't quit smoking while grieving a loss, it's not possible. Very wise. When my Dad passed, I actually started smoking again after not having done so for three years - I was so easy to pick back up again. Within a month, I was a full-time smoker again.

You'll always be a smoker, now, but you can choose to be an inactive one. I've been inactive since Sept, 2003; but I want one every day. Like Chandler in Friends, but you'll know when the time is right - your body will remind you.

Best of luck, e-mail me anytime for hints and tips, or a natter.

How can you live in such a cold place after seeing the warmth that is Mexico?? Strange fellow *smile*

Patricia said...

sara's got the life, lucky bitch.
hope you and spouse are both feeling better.