Friday, January 27, 2006

Who wants to be a politician?

One of my student's family members recently ran for election in a local riding for the conservative party. Seizing the conversational opportunity, we talked about the run-up to election day and how much work was involved in campaigning.

The funny thing was that the candidate had always been a "pequiste" (someone who supports the Bloc Quebecois party) and had just switched to the conservative party because the BQ already had a candidate for that riding.

This led to a discussion about what leads people into politics. For the person in question, it seemed to be more about being center stage, and in the spotlight that attracted him to running for election. Certainly it wasn't because the party platform represented tightly held beliefs.

If this is a common phenomenon, our elected officials are comprised of vain, self serving individuals looking for glory.

I had always suspected so, but now I have some evidence.

8 comments:

St. Dickeybird said...

That makes sense. Why else would Layton have sided with Harper on anything, to get the Libs out???
Spotlight-craving dick.

Adam said...

Let me preface myself as a grade AA premium liberal before the next sentence so there is no confusion as to my views.

Was Bill Clinton not enough evidence for this? The man rewrote the book on ego.

jjd said...

policeman and politicians... both jobs that attract the wrong kind of people: people who want power and glory in the attention.

Yes, there are exceptions..

dantallion said...

I stil naively believe that SOME people actually run because of tightly held belief. Too bad they get over-shadowed by the self serving dickheads that actually rise to the top.

Patricia said...

this is just so discouraging.
what's more discouraging is that these are the people who are supposed to speak for us.

ink said...

You've raised an interesting question, tornwordo.

Like Dantallion, I like to think some people, at least, run because they really do believe in what they stand for; but I suspect most of them are just busibodies with an ego big enough to think they they deserve to be in charge because "they (obviously) know best."

I mistrust anyone who says they have all the answers. And I really, really mistrust anyone who says "Trust me."

I've always thought the best person to lead a country - or anything for that matter - is the one who is qualified to do so, but doesn't actually want the job.

epicurist said...

Like Ink and Dantallion, I also like to believe there are politicians who are there to serve the greater good and to make a difference. Not all of them can be selfish, ego and power driven. I certainly hope not.

Chunks said...

Nothing shocks me anymore.

We had an independent running here who stated before the election that he would "probably switch to the conservatives if he was elected anyway"...um what?

Needless to say, he didn't win. Who needs a fickle pickle representing you?