Sunday, January 29, 2006

Warning this post may be dangerous to your appetite

I've tried to get rich quick on several occasions, and I'm not talking lottery. You've proabably heard about the million dollar homepage (dot com). This college student who got the idea to sell a million pixels at a buck a pop made a million in four months. This is the kind of get rich quick scheme I'm talking about. I can't hide my petty bitterness for the college student, even though I acknowledge that it's based on envy.

Five years ago, I had a plan to make some money. I've always been attracted to enterprises that make all of their money during a certain season. You know like a Christmas tree peddler. They work like fiends for a couple months and then sit around the rest of the year. So that was why I was so gung ho for my calendar idea. People only buy calendars for a couple months of the year, so if you could sell enough, sitting pretty for the rest of the year seems viable. I think I've mentioned it before, but I created the Outhouse Calendar, wherein each month featured a gory shot of some overflowing shithole in an outhouse. I spent many weekends visiting hundreds of outhouses in search of the most gruesome scat scenes.

This was one of my favorites (replete with bloody tampon!). It has made some people gag.





Wait for it....









(pic removed, too gross)


I'm lousy at marketing, and so I only sold one. To my father. But I had a website and everything. I thought it would be a great gag gift, and then I could find different themes for future years, like "scabs" or "diapers".


Went through a spate of selling clothes on Ebay which was lucrative, but a lot more work than you can imagine. (Ladies, don't throw out your old flip-flops, weird people will pay like $50 for used ones - especially if it includes a picture of your foot in them.)


I also seem to remember a summer of painting terracotta pots and selling them at crafts fairs. (I shudder at the man-hour to revenue ratio.)


I would go on (and maybe make some kind of point) but you've probably already clicked away by now, horrified by the photo. I'll take it down tomorrow, wouldn't want that stinking up the page all week.

8 comments:

Patricia said...

alrighty then, starvation diet due to total lack of appetite: ON.

i can totally relate to the seasonal-work dreams. ever since i read that vanna white works something like 30 days a year, i was bitterly on a mission to find a similar gig. without the letter flipping, of course.

Holly said...

okay, now i'm going to have to buy flipflops, paint my toenails, model and put em up on ebay.

and try really hard not to think about the people who might win them, and what they might do with them.

::shudder::

Chunks said...

Hahahahah! You should make a calendar of you modelling your scarfs! THAT would sell like hotcakes!

Get knitting! I got my $12 bucks right here, waiting for Christmas 2006. *wink wink*

Tony Adams said...

Here's my money idea:
a coffee table book in which each left hand page has nine dick photos, and each right hand page has nine face photos. The idea is to try to match the dick with the face of its owner. (answers in the back of the book). What do you think?

Snooze said...

Oh that pic is vile, but not as vile as whoever thinks it´s okay to not flush and leave a mess like that in a public washroom. So many times I´ve been treated to scenes just like that one.

St. Dickeybird said...

Try doing 'A Year Of Wounds.'

And wow. that pic. wow...

_Psycho said...

Quick cash on the internet, is always what I was trying to do. No ideas so far. And I hate to see stupid thing getting so huge and so popular. grrr :)

r said...

I like the sneakers in that picture.

I still don't know how you could get so close to something like that.

Ew.