Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Crankified

Here in Montreal, the public transportation system is only able to accommodate handicapped passengers on the buses as there still are no elevators in the subway stations. They do have specially designed buses that can lower and raise on command, with ramps and removable seats to ease the boarding of wheelchairs. In addition, there are signs at the front of the bus near the entrance instructing the rider to give up this seat to passengers with "reduced mobility" and a symbol indicating a person with a cane. This applies to the seats nearest the door at the front of the bus. This is a good system, honored by most. But I have one problem with it. I think there should be another sign stating that if you have reduced mobility, please wait for the fully mobile people to get off the bus first. Before you denounce me as an impertinent asshole, let me explain.

Look, if you are suffering and your ambulatory skills have been compromised, I'm all for infrastructure that helps alleviate mobility difficulties. Handicapped parking near the front of the store. Cool. Specially designed movie theatre seats near the exit. Right on. Extra help getting on and off the plane with priority embarkation. Super. The shotgun seat on the bus each and every time you ride. Bitchin'. Just let me get the fuck off before you so I don't have to be further inconvenienced while you (in the most excruciatingly slow and trepidatious way) navigate the stairs leading to the curb. Because nobody behind you wants to help you, they want to push you. (maybe I'm projecting, hmmm) I've seen an entire bus packed full all have to exit from the rear door, one at a time, before a sole cane toter was able to succeed in exiting the vehicle.

I thinks it's only considerate to let the other passengers (who paid twice what you did) get off before you. After all, you're clearly not going anywhere in a hurry, as many of us are.

Anyway, it's crankified me more than once, so I just decided to vent a little. I feel better now.

10 comments:

St. Dickeybird said...

I totally agree with you. My father has mobility issues, but he's considerate enough to GTF out of the way of others with something to do.

Jason said...

I agree too.

Adam said...

I agree with you. Sometimes here in Dallas the mobily reduced individuals can be very rude. I acquiesce and smile though but my mind is swirling with crankiness.

The Wisdom of Wislon said...

mmmm I see your point

maybe more exits would help, although people would still be pushing and squeezing others off... mmmm a difficult one

I suppose if this happens everyday on your ride to work it would peeve you off, go and have a chilled GnT my sticky.

MamaKBear said...

Makes perfect sense to me! And I'm totally stealing that word, "crankified"...love it!

dantallion said...

Tornwordo: How DARE you? You've now publicly HUMILIATED anybody with mobility problems with this vicious and unprovoked attack. The fact that what you're saying is completely logical, reasonable, and correct means nothing with compared with the wrath that you will bring down on yourself by the dreaded Political Correctness Police. For shame, Tornwordo. For shame.

(Apparently you're not the only one suffering from a touch o' the crankies today)

:)

Patricia said...

makes sense to me. i wish i lived in a city where public transportation was used more. i can't remember the last time i was on a bus and yet i fill my car's gas tank far too often.

epicurist said...

Passengers with "reduced mobility"? How P.C of you. Just call them gimpy.

r said...

Read over your post from yesterday... a connection perhaps? You're getting older, these folks often are older...

I drive my car everywhere, so I don't have to worry about these in-the-way people.

Anonymous said...

I think that a person who has to spend the rest of their lives in a wheelchair is deserving of a break. No one is in so much of a hurry that they can't let a handicapped person off the bus. Just take a deep breath... it can't delay you more than 30 seconds, and a little patience in this situation will be good for your karma.