Sunday, February 18, 2007

Just some more blather

This weekend is kind of a waste. I've caught some kind of bug and my body is in lockdown mode, fighting whatever virus is raging inside. I managed to do the marketing yesterday but that's about it. Oh and it looks like we found a renter for the soon to be vacated studio apartment. I tried to shovel some more of the snow off the back patio but I tired quickly and came back inside, shivering. Spouse is buried with work so he was less than compassionate, though in truth he's usually like that, "suck it up" being a kind of mantra for him.

Today I've got to try to get my week of lessons set up, planned and organized, and I've got to grade papers and prepare a quiz. This takes several hours. There is nothing poetic about it. It's the drudgery side of my job. At least it can be carried out while I'm in my bathrobe.

The sun is getting higher and higher in the sky. The path of the sun's march across the sky is starting further east and ending further west than weeks past. Each day, the light has a different quality, and the shadows are drawn in shrinking perspective. Every day, the sun reminds me of the hope of spring when everyone here will rejoice. Good times are a comin'.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your prose soared in that last paragraph! Beautifully, poetically put.

Sorry you are ill!! I hope it passes soon!

Jess said...

I hope you feel better soon!

(BTW, good attitude!)

My adventures said...

get well soon... we're following the sun line too... our tulips are just starting to sprout out of some pots, so we keep moving the pots to get more sun... i love this time of year!!! well, down here!!! lol... not sure i'd survive winter up there!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you've found a new renter. It is amazing how the seasons change. It may be a life lesson. Spring is like birth then Summer is like the young years and fall like middle age then Winter the last years but looking forward to a rebirth come Spring.
I'm sure spouse is sympathetic to your illness. Misery loves company. Poor Torn, dear take care of yourself and get better real soon, 'kay? See it is so nice when others care. Everyone could use someone to care for them.

Chunks said...

Halleluhia Brother!

Feel better soon. Drink lots of hot water. The hot will warm you up and the water will flush you out.

I cannot WAIT until spring.

bardelf said...

Chicken noodle soup cures everything. Have some.

When I was in Newfoundland for the holidays, everyone, myself included, came down with some godawful crud. Here in North Carolina, everyone seems to have a stomach virus. I am administering hex signs everywhere I go.

Be well.

GayProf said...

Sorry to hear that you are not well. This seems to have been the winter-of-many-colds. As Chunks said, drinks lots of water (hot or otherwise).

dirk.mancuso said...

Congrats on the new renter and feel better soon.

r said...

Oh sweet pea... (see, my mush will counter-act Spouse's gruffness)... I was wiped out yesterday too. Slept three hours in the afternoon, nerkled around the house for the rest of the evening, and I'm a new woman today.

Take care of yourself.

Anonymous said...

I hope you feel better soon, Torn. Once you have your Cinderella drudge work done, wrap up warm, grab some tea and a good book, and snooze-read on the couch with Sara. That's my way of sucking it up ... well, when I'm sick, I mean ;)

A Lewis said...

Now, when the spouse says "suck it up," what exactly is he talking about? Could be kind of fun. He sounds like me, I have to admit. And, you're so right, I've noticed that the sun is staying up longer...the days are just a little longer and it's very nice. Sorry you don't feel well....seems to be going around. My head congestion is going on one week now. Take good care.

Anonymous said...

ahh poor you

Having trouble signing on via google
wislon

dpaste said...

Everytime spouse gives you the "suck it up" attitude, just wipe your nose on his pillow.

Patricia said...

i've been watching the light, too. it's now a contest to see if i can get two days in a row without turning on my headlights on the way home.

small victories.