Monday, February 26, 2007

Me, me, me, blah, blah, blah

I am such a creature of habit. I alternate between hating this fact about myself or letting myself off the hook for it. Routine provides a sense of comfort for me, finding the same things in the same places, and doing the same things in the same way, on the same day. This weekend has been a challenge for me. You see, my little secret addiction, Literati, the Yahoo version of scrabble, has been down (DOWN! I AM NOT ADDICTED BUT I JUST DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO WITHOUT MY PLANNED GAMES SPRINKLED THROUGHOUT THE DAY, OKAY MAYBE IT'S LIKE FOUR-FIVE (max I swear) HOURS A DAY ON THE WEEKEND, I KEEP TELLING MYSELF, "JUST DEAL" BUT IT'S NOOOOOOT WORKING) since Thursday. I can't play much during the week, but winter weekends are perfectly suited to this activity. Instead this weekend, I planned a trip to New York and got the bulk of our income tax information entered into the software program. In my angst over Literati withdrawl, I started playing Tangleword again, the internet form of Boggle. And I felt energized and happy. Happy that I didn't have to feel destitute about my loss of the addictive hobby, happy that I could exercise my brain. ( there are far more deleterious activities of which I could partake in ) I quickly tired of it though and so I sat down at the piano and a song just came. Poof. Like it was just wafting around the apartment and I finally sat down to hammer it out. I feel like a fraud. I didn't really write the song, I just played a cord, a melody popped into my head and I worked it out. The creative process is a fickle affair, like bobbing for apples, and I'm just glad I was able to be a participant.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

So... how/when do we hear these creations born in the dearth of Literati? If you are going to be creative, maybe we can arrange with Yahoo for a permanent shut down. :)

KipEsquire said...

I concur: time for a podcast!

Anonymous said...

I play Wordtext. My one addiction. Now Torn we need a video of the piano playing. I mean I really need to see it! I am a ceature of habit too. I hate it when things change unless I'm the one instituting the change. I know I'm a WERD! (Wimpish Nerd)I've learned to live with it. No one else will though. I hope they get your Leterati back up soon.

Timmy said...

wow - you play the piano too?

Snooze said...

I didn't know you had such a bond with Literati. Have you not picked up your knitting needles this year?

St. Dickeybird said...

Great! That last half of the post really made me smile.
And yes, we want to hear it!

The Wisdom of Wislon said...

Oh you are such a talented soul :>)

Anonymous said...

Although I also enjoy a degree of spontaneity , I find much comfort in my little daily rituals, too. Funny how when something happens to prevent your usual routine, you get a slightly unsettled feeling ... like why wasn't the drive-thru at Timmy's open yesterday morning?

r said...

I've been a bit obsessed this past week or two with Snood. It's an absolutely mindless game that I can't stop playing.

Ah well, the free trial period is almost over.

and you already know of my love for tangleword.

Are there lyrics for the song?

GayProf said...

I feel like a fraud. I didn't really write the song, I just played a cord, a melody popped into my head and I worked it out.

I have no idea how to write a song, but it seems like most professional song writers report a similar experience. That is the process of creativity, no? And maybe it shows that a shake-up to your usual routine is good... But, I have an anti-scrabble agenda.

bardelf said...

Your posting has a tone of apology about it. Hey! What's wrong with saying that you are addicted to Literati? What's wrong with being a creature of habit? What's wrong with being a fraud?
Nothing, absolutely nothing.

Doug said...

Routine just frees up your mind so you can focus on the important stuff.

It sounds like changing your routine, though, has had some positive side-effects! Ever think about being a professional musician?

Chunks said...

I'm a Word Mojo Junkie. I can't even hit play on it or else I will be sitting here for three days trying to beat my high score. It's rather pitiful. My score, I mean.

Anonymous said...

Man, I checked out that Literati but I didn't stick with it. I should give it another chance.

I'm hooked on this game called SOCOM3. I can't even get to the keyboard to blog nowadays.

BTW, good Snipets below.

A Bear in the Woods said...

Okay, "Bones" Harmer, we want audio on this one.
Remember a real Blues name has to include one infirmity and one fruit name.
Example: Blin' Lemon Hahrmah.
And you wear sunglasses at all times, even to bed.