Saturday, February 24, 2007

Eye on the apple

The folks are flying out to New York in May, when a cousin is graduating from Columbia. When I learned of this, I said perhaps I would come down as well. It would mean a little rearranging of my classes and the train shouldn't be too expensive. I checked out the train fares and it's only $118 round trip. I just about clicked on purchase when I realized I hadn't checked out accomodations. Ugh. Have you ever stayed in a New York Hotel room? They are very small, cruise ship cabins are decidedly larger. And yet they still command over $300 a night. Even on priceline, it's gonna be $180 a night with tax.

I called mom to lament this state of things. She doesn't find it all that expensive on priceline, but I was thinking of renting someone's spare bedroom in Brooklyn for $80 a night.

Then spouse came home and announced he had landed another $3000 contract for his side business building web sites. This was unexpected. I said, "What do you think about taking the train to New York and going to my cousin's graduation? The folks will be there and we can see lots of shows. We can stay at a 4 star hotel for $900 for five nights." And his eyes lit up but then he said, "The train is 13 hours! I've done that." I informed him that the train is 10 hours and he harumphed and said, "Yah, that's what they SAY." (sarcastic intonation indicating that he believes that what they say is bullshit) "Well, are you up for it anyway?" And he said yes. Yippee! And with the extra contract he got, we can actually afford it. New York in May. I can't wait.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

May should be a great time to see New York!

Have you ever been to NYC? Are you aware of "two-fers"? There is a spot near Times Square where you can buy extra Broadway show tickets two for the price of one on the day show. The price is good, but of course you take your chances with availability and seats.

But then again, I'm sure your cousin knows a lot of the deals.

Have a great time there!

But I must sigh - o so close and yet so far!

KipEsquire said...

Don't forget the 13.375% + $4/night hotel tax in NYC.

That's why it's all-important to have a good friend in NYC -- but only if he has a comfortable couch.

My adventures said...

i find i get a better hotel deal if i use hotwire the day of... i got the W on lexington for $120... but not for that long a stay... also check out VRBO.. vacation rentals by owner... great... i stayed at a cute little studio in chelsea for a few days for $95 a night... sounds like a blast... new york is so f-ing expensive... too bad it's not florida, i have a spare guestroom in palm beach you could have used... lol...

Anonymous said...

Sounds awesome! Enjoy and live it up in luxury for a few days.

Jane

Anonymous said...

I have never been to NYC but it is the city that never sleeps. My brother-in-law went to Canada and back recently as he has done many times. This time they searched him thoroughly and demanded to see his passport. Be sure and have your passports in order. Try to get tickets for the Regis & Kelly show. I watch that every day. It is on columbus Avenue I think. Have a good time.

Cincy Diva said...

I have never been to NY, but it seems that May would be the best time to go! Have fun!

Chunks said...

You will be sending me a postcard, won't you? maybe a cool NYC fridge magnet? If you are near the CBS store, could you pop in and pick me up a Survivor buff? :) Oh crap, maybe I should send you some $$, or go to NYC myself! haha!

NY has always been a dream trip of mine. Have fun. I'm not jealous at all.

Anonymous said...

Well, be sure to wave. It goes right past our house.

GayProf said...

You might also really check into airfares -- Just playing around (without knowing your travel dates), I found air-tickets from Montréal to NY for around $100. Airlines, counter intuitively, are more subsidized than trains.

Whatever the case, you know that train probably runs right through MA. I am just sayin'.

anabel said...

I'd love to go to NY sometime! It would be great if I knew someone there who could show me around.

I hope you have a great rip!

Spider said...

how exciting...

Jason said...

I need a spouse.

A Bear in the Woods said...

Yippee! New York is wonderful in small doses.

Patricia said...

nyc will be so much fun!! the time will FLY by and of course you'll only have time to do 1% of what you might list. what fun the planning will be!

and see how just a few short months ago, money was so scary and now you're planning a trip. life is good.