Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Fear and loathing in London

"The evidence clearly shows he was being restrained before being shot dead"

It was pretty horrifying a couple weeks ago when the police in London shot that Brazilian guy, but not half as horrifying as now finding out that the guy had already been tackled, and when other police arrived, they (or he) found it necessary to lodge eleven bullets in the guy's head, though three of them missed. A mistake they were calling it, but now (with the leaked investigation documents) it looks a lot more like murder. Also, I find it interesting that it will be "months" before the final report is due out. Months? There were dozens of people working on getting this one guy (not to mention the bazillion cameras surveiling London), so plenty of witnesses, what more needs to be investigated?

I'll tell you what happened, one of these guys was so blinded by rage at the "terrorists" that he didn't shoot to maim or cripple, no, blood was what he wanted pulling that trigger until the chamber clicked empty. Reminded me of post 9/11 in the states when the population turned crazed and blood thirsty. (Seems they still haven't spilled enough blood.)

It's another shining example of how hatred results in the killing of innocent people. There was but one casualty in the failed London attacks, and it was this Brazilian guy minding his own business, trying to get through his day like everyone else. If I lived in London, I would probably be more afraid of my fellow whacko countrymen, than dark-skinned backpack toters.

And the police? Well, they can't be trusted. I found that out a long time ago when I witnessed police breaking laws (ask em about it, she was there). Subsequently, I tried to "complain" about what I had witnessed, but there was no "process" by which a complaint could be filed by a civilian. Got that? They are there to "protect" us, but if they have a bad day, or want to rough somebody up for no reason, there's just no way to reprimand them.

Do you think the police officer in London who shot the Brazilian guy will reap repercussions? I guess we'll find out some months from now. But I'll tell you right now, he won't be going to jail, though what he did was murder, plain and simple.

9 comments:

Nick Mazonowicz said...

Seems like the best of british justice - innocent until proven dark skinned.

ScaryCheri said...

wait....when did the states turn post 9/11 blood thirsty?
I must have missed that.
From my stand point Americans pulled together to support each other, minus the random scattering of over blown red necks and our president of course, but Americans as a whole....sorry have to disagree.

I remember being quite impressed with the reactions of my fellow Americans. Including the Police.

tornwordo said...

Sorry, Cheri I didn't mean to slander all my countrymen. Of course you are right.

But the police cannot be trusted. Sure some of them can, but how can you know, when all (bad, unfortunate)things are furiously covered up.

Remember Rodney King? That would've been a non-incident had it not been filmed.

ScaryCheri said...

well, I guess there were those who saw blood-thirst and those who didn't.

I, for one, didn't see it.

I do understand your angle here though Torn...I didn't mean to come off as a bitchy ....bitch.

nice blog btw :)

r said...

I suspected this... and today saw and read the news about it.

What's sad is that I agree with you; we can't trust the police. Which only makes it harder for the honest ones out there trying to do the right thing.

I try to imagine everyone thinking the worst of me, even though I am trying to do my best by them.


Thoughts, intentions... all that can be just as strong as the reality of action.

Unknown said...

You can trust the terrorists instead. They are SURE to kill as many as they can.

As the spokesman for the Police said : What if he had been a terrorist? Wouldn't sparing one life have cost a 100 others.
The police were staking the some guy's apartment which the Poor Brazilian guy happened to be staying in. In a tragic mistake mistook one for the other. Very sad, very tragic but still what else could the Police have done. They wouldn't want another attack when they could have prevented it.

War always has a few unintended casualities aren't terrorists waging a cowardly war.

ScaryCheri said...

Well put Sri

The Wisdom of Wislon said...

You're so right on this.

Turns out he wasn't wearing a huge coat with a ruck sack either but just denims- so a huge majority of innocent olk are at possible risk .

r said...

"Very sad, very tragic but still what else could the Police have done."


Sri...
Not killed the guy?

Not shot him 11 times, hitting him 9 times?

Lowering ourselves to the terrorists' level is not going to help anything.

"a few unintended casualties" for me might be someone who got caught in the crossfire whilst police are shooting at a real terrorist.

Not someone on the floor with no weapons who happened to have dark skin.