Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Marital blister

This is a bad mood day. Probably not a good idea to post. I've got a splitting headache and got little sleep for the following reasons. One, it's hot again. Terrible humid heat, causing sleep to remain shallow and fitful. Two, woke up to pee at two in the morning and discovered that the spouse still was not home. The last communication with spouse went like this:

4:45 pm call from work

Hi Bee (our nickname for each other, short for Baby)

Hi honey, you gonna go out for a beer?

Yes, just one because we all have to work tomorrow morning.

Are you gonna have dinner at home, or should I eat without you?

Oh no I'll be home for dinner, it's just a quick beer tonight.

Okay! see you later.

I finally ate at about 9:30. I tried him on his cell, but you can never hear the ring in the bars because they always have music going. At eleven, I went to bed thinking he would be home any time. So at two when I woke up to pee, I became worried. Two reasons. One, it's fairly unusual that he has to work in the morning but stays out so late - maybe something bad happened. Two, I couldn't help thinking about drunken park shenanigans. So I call on the cell a couple more times and he answers.

I'm close to the house. (the 17,000 beers consumed evident in the slur)

Are you walking? Oh of course, you have no money and the bus is done for the night.

I'm close to the house. (slightly more comprehensible this time)

Okay then, see you in a minute.

When he arrived, he immediately began teasing me for being up, being "worried" about him, and then saying this strange sentence, "Why do you call me on my cell phone, you just want to KNOW all the time and you think I was doing something bad, but well, I was in the park but I wasn't going to do anything, I haven't smoked in an hour." Then he stripped off his clothes and started frying two steaks. (After all it was hot, and dinner was skipped)

So I went back to bed and got a few more hours of sleep. Marital bliss it isn't but what would doctor Laura say? "You picked him."

5 comments:

r said...

Ha ha ha hah...oh my...
Em, you kill me.

Torn... don't know what I would have done.

pushthebutton,max! said...

I love the title of this post. But Dr. Laura? Yechhh. I could see how she might appeal to that logical, black and white part of your personality, but she doesn't exactly life an exemplary life, does she?

tornwordo said...

Yeah she's yucky I agree. But I always liked that line. Quit whining about your person because the fact is you picked that person.

r said...

unbelievable powers of observation there Vanda.

The Wisdom of Wislon said...

Ah, you sound like the caring worrying sort
some men and women are so alike afterall ;-)

like your style rebekah, hee hee ;-)